Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Special Tools For Jobs

• ectofix

November 9, 2017 at 10:00 pm

You’re referring to that fine coating of grease that’s encapsulating the gas valve and fitting pictured above?  Well, former boss of mine (God rest his soul) called it “smooch”. 

I have yet to find names for the many consistencies and densities that fryer grease can take on.  The same grease that’s in or on our french fries, chips, hash browns, fish, tofu, tempura, shrimp, chicken tenders…or whatever.

I can only generalize it at certain levels.  Grease forms into:

The stuff you can simply wash off your hands with adequate soap. > > > > The stringy glop that you CAN’T wash off your hands, despite whatever humanly safe soap you employ. > > > >Grease which only a REALLY, REALLY harsh chemical can break down. > > > > > The texture of grease which can be scraped away in sheets to resemble something almost like…SKIN (my favorite). > > > > > The rock-hard, dried-on glue version of grease which can ONLY be burned off through the application of a direct blue flame – or from behind the surface to which it adheres to (which smokes and stinks, but efforts to remove it is rehabilitative).  In the latter technique, the grease will virtually JUMP off the said surface.  This procedure is best done OUTDOORS. Of course, the next molecular state is carbon.

Those of us who might be tasked in the removal of such grease will understand that the numerous “>” markers indicated above is NOT an accurate quantitative illustration of the many OTHER forms which grease may take on.  For those who HAVEN’T had the pleasure in performing the task of fryer grease removal, just put an ∞ between #1 and #22.

• gregct

November 16, 2017 at 8:21 am

Blodget’s blower wheel puller was always a time saver….   Frymaster’s Microamp to millivolt converter was indespensible, too… wish I still had one…

Page 4 of 4