• qcs-2-800

Posted by guest on December 17, 2016 at 12:00 am

Will this unit work if I

change the power plug with a more commomly found 110 plug used here in us

fixbear replied 7 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ectofix

December 17, 2016 at 4:42 pm

You asked your question under the Carter Hoffmann manufacturer’s name.  That model number isn’t one which crosses to ANYTHING that Carter Hoffmann makes.

Now, the model number “QCS2-800” DOES cross to a Star-Holman conveyor toaster.  Is THAT what you’re asking about?

If so, then back to your question:

shorned wrote:

Will this unit work if I

change the power plug with a more commomly found 110 plug used here in us

So the answer to your question is:  Absolutely NOT.

That model toaster is designed to run off 208/240vac.  Specifically, you’ll need a licensed electrician to install you a dedicated NEMA 6-20R outlet, which will accept a 208v/240v, 20a plug.

Here’s a little chart to explain why:

http://www.atlasscreensupply.com/images/plug_type_specifications.png

Look at the difference between 120v and 240v. They are intentionally designed differently in order to prevent you from putting an appliance’s plug into a wrong outlet.

If you absolutely require a conveyor toaster that runs from a conventional 120v 15a outlet, then the Holman QCS2-500 is designed for that.  Here’s a spec sheet, compliments of zanduco.com.

• shorned

December 17, 2016 at 5:01 pm

Is there a convertor That would work potentially

Sent from my iPhone

• gregory-lyles

December 17, 2016 at 5:29 pm

The cost of one if they make one would probably be as much or more than to have an electrician run a dedicated outlet,also would seem to be the more practical and safer route to go in my opinion.

• fixbear

December 18, 2016 at 4:36 pm

You could also replace the heaters and rewire the machine to dumb it down, but that defeats the purpose of having such a machine. Wattage equals energy/power. having 2600 watts is what makes it possible to toast product at a speed for your customers. If you dumbed down the machine it would be a max of 1300 watts with a lower energy input and take at least twice as long to toast. Might as well buy a cheap toaster to do that. they are 1200 watts. The whole purpose of that commercial toaster is to handle volume with speed so your toast is ready at the same time as your eggs for multiple customers. Trying to cut back on the power will only create hardship on the line, Frustration with your cooks,and lack of satisfaction with your customers. Install the correct power supply and make everybody happy.

• ectofix

December 18, 2016 at 5:11 pm

So…is there a CONVERTER to run it from 120v?

That toaster is rated at 2800 watts. 

I suppose a step-up transformer would do it.  You’d pay a pretty penny to buy one if you could find one.  And guess what?  You’d need a licensed electrician to install it.

Supplying 2800 watts at 208v from a step-up transformer with a 120v primary input would also use up 2800 watts of power the transformer would require to sustain that. That translates to about twice the amp load when ran with a 120v source.  More when you consider the losses of the step up transformer.  All of that equates to about the power needed for a standard home’s electric range running two burners full bore.  THAT’S allotta amps (and a load on the electricity bill) needed just to toast bread.  A HIGHLY impractical and expensive setup.

In any case, all that is not going to be plugging into any standard wall outlet.

Just call an electrician.  You’re in California.  I’m positive that your building already has 208 or 240v available in it.  You simply need a line ran from the panel to provide you an outlet for that toaster.

EDIT:  I made some corrections.  I did bad math while hopping around the house getting dressed for work this morning.