Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Manitowoc SD0502A  Ice Machine Troubleshooting?

• olivero

July 25, 2019 at 8:51 am

Fixbear, If the unit is low on gas and it’s not being cooled by the suction gas, it will overheat. Head won’t be high but it’ll overheat all the same.

Right but his fan is not being triggered on which indicates a low head condition, with no cooling and supposedly low head, it sounds like low head and low suction, which to me, sounds like a low charge issue.

• fixbear

July 25, 2019 at 11:42 am

With a low charge,It  will get hot, but not usually enough to trip the motor overload.  And the condenser inlet will not be hot, just warm.  The timing of how long it trips is the clue here.  If it is a short trip and comes back on after about 30 to 60 seconds, it will be a starting/winding problem.  If the recovery time is longer, it’s ussually load.  This is providing your starting from  a cold state without the compressor heat saturated.

• olivero

July 25, 2019 at 12:01 pm

I’ve seen them trip on low charge from a lack of cooling. Depends on how low it is though.

Very true, considering it’s 8 minutes in. I think it’s low.

• chefhenryclay

July 25, 2019 at 7:46 pm

I have to thank all for helping get this old ice machine back up and possibly running. Fixbear helped me get it back on line and running almost a year ago.with

Let`s face it, It is an old machine, where we live has an antiquated water system diluted heavily with calcium deposits. That wreaks havoc on ice consistency and overall machine performance (needs cleaning every 2 or 3 weeks). The choice between the cost of fixing an old ice machine without any clear path to a certain soltion vs. a new machine is an easy one.

I plan on donating the broken ice machine to a school that teaches kids all about hvac and ice machines.

Thanks again all.

• fixbear

July 26, 2019 at 8:34 am

Smart decision for sure.  I suspect the the bottom frame is rusted and the ice plate has surface problems making  harvest a bit erratic. But the big unknown is the compressor condition.  I’ve had several of the SC 18’s that have broken a valve spring or had a bearing failure.  I’m not sure what area of Louisiana your in, but if the norther area it might be a bit difficult finding a good tech. 

You would be farther ahead it you address the water quality at the same time.

Thanks for letting us know

• olivero

July 26, 2019 at 8:40 am

So did it work? what was the problem?

Page 3 of 3