Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Condenser filters: yes or no?

April 27, 2017 at 8:23 am

I believe in the filters especially in grease conditions.  I only recommend using the 1/4″ foam media to be used as the others are too restrictive and cause more problems then they cure.  Also, they must be changed on a regular basis and I prefer monthly but have done it every other month in certain conditions.  I will say however, there are some units that cannot support filters of any kind and I blame the manufacturers who know the conditions the equipment is operating in and do not design enough capacity to allow for a filter to be used.

• buddy-moore

April 27, 2017 at 9:07 am

Just removed one not more than 20mins ago which the customer hadn’t or didn’t even know it was there. Full of flour and no air flow…. I gave it to the manager. I personally don’t like to use them. However if I had a cooler the maintenance would be kept up a lot more due to my experience. For a customer they have to help… even if they pull that filter media and run it through a dish machine if it get too bad. All in all the end user has to be aware and willing to keep their equipment maintained. 

• fixbear

April 27, 2017 at 9:27 am

Condenser manufacturers make their condensers for certain conditions.  The best ones for dust/dirt conditions are the low temp Copeland’s that are only 3 or 4 fins per inch, but then they have to have a bigger unit to get the square inches of heat transfer.  Different brands are designed to different ambient temperatures for operation. Some are as low as 95 F.  Others are 120F.  I have even come across some designed for 145F.  That’s the one you want to avoid overheat.  Then we get into specialized units like dehumidification kiln’s.  Condenser temp is designed for 170F. I have seen compressor discharge temps of over 250F on these. Finding a suitable replacement refrigerant for R12 on one of these was a real problem that I worked with the manufacturer.  The high temp can break down most of the replacements and oil’s.

The kiln’s and some ice machines required filters.  As do window AC’s.   But to add a filter without knowing the design or having the manufacturers blessing is asking for a premature failure of the compressor.  Also the higher air temperature at the condenser fan will coke the oil in the fan motor.  As wyotech stated, they will raise the head and temp.  Have a real problem location?  Make it a remote condenser.

I hate high grease kitchens for any condensers.

April 28, 2017 at 5:23 am

There is no onesize fits all answer to this question. If your in-house, thin foam works well. We still wash the condensors twice a year. Traffic (people walking by) also affect how often things get cleaned. Flower can change the whole game. Popeyes used to give me fits untill they changed the way they were breading the chix. I usuall don’t filter flower areas. Its easier to just blow/wash more often. The tighter the filter, the quicker it raises up the psi. I haven’t seen the dramtic head increases stated above, using thin foam.

When it comes to grease, all bets are off. I use the thin foam to slow the grease down but still end up washing more often than other areas.

Olivero, I have water cooled walk-ins too. When you figgure out how to get those in there, let me know too.

Rico 

October 1, 2018 at 10:05 am

If you are looking for a filter solution then maybe we have the answer. Take a look at the website which talks mostly about industrial size filtration but we make everything from 300mm square in a washable, low airflow resistance material.

Richard @RABScreen

• olivero

October 4, 2018 at 5:06 pm

Rico,

Still trying to figure out how to get Dacron in there, I think it’s a lost cause.

Page 2 of 2