Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Condenser filters: yes or no?

• Condenser filters: yes or no?

Posted by guest on December 11, 2016 at 12:00 am

What is your opinion / experience with some sort of filter media for condensers in air cooled, self contained units?

Reach in fridges, freezers, sandwich prep tables, draft boxes etc. 

There are some units near flat top grills and fryer that get a greasy film. Other units are exposed to dust and even sand. Wide variety of situations.

We also have a couple of newer walk ins that have air cooled condensers sitting on top of the walk in as well.

I realize that any restrictions of air flow will increase head pressure, but figure that if we can pay attention to a set schedule of checking, cleaning or replacing them that we can save time and expense of deep cleaning or worse.

If yes, what thoughts on type of material? Foam? Fiberglass? Other?

guest replied 5 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • olivero

December 12, 2016 at 9:04 am

I use Dacron filters on all of my condensers for buffet stations, reach ins and roll in fridges.

My walk ins are water cooled, can’t figure out how to get a Dacron in there but I will one day….

If you keep an eye on em, I definetley recommend it, coil cleaning is a pain and messy.

Whats you average ambient temp where your fridges are?

• fixbear

December 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

The nemesis of refrigeration is to have a condenser in a grease area. Definitely a no no. Remote condensers are to best solution if a cooler has to be next to a grease source. Many Ice machines have fiberglass filters from the factory just for that reason.The pleated filters have to much restriction for a condenser fan. Ice machines also have oversize fans for the same reason. If you coolers are all close one can set up a common condenser and pipe refrigerant to them. Or one can convert to water cooled condenser and solve all the cleaning problems. But what is your cost of water.

Only you can cost out the solutions for your site, but these are a few ways you can go.

• ectofix

December 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm

If you’re a regular PMer, then that cut-to-fit fiberglass filter media (held in by bar straws) worked best for me.  Very little restriction to affect head pressure.

Next PM visit (hopefully in a month…depending), throw it away and cut out a new one.

• davejohnsonnola

December 12, 2016 at 7:08 pm

I’ve found a wide variety or materials left on these units. Some washable, others too funky to bother with.

Thickness? or pictures of what I should recommend we buy a HUGE roll of?

• davejohnsonnola

December 12, 2016 at 7:10 pm

One of my worst cases is a two drawer chef’s table base refrigeration unit located below a 48″ flat top grill next to a bank of four fryers.

• davejohnsonnola

December 12, 2016 at 7:14 pm

That and the minimum wage server idiots who can’t keep 4 oz portion cups of salad dressing from falling out of their pans, falling to the back of the unit and preventing the drawers from closing completely. Not to mention the mold/sludge formation that results.

• davejohnsonnola

December 12, 2016 at 7:20 pm

In the majority of concessions and bars I would say mid to upper 70s F. 

Other individual units, unfortunately placed too close to cooking equipment…. need to take some readings.

Just got my upgraded personal DMM with temp probes in the amazon package today. Off for a couple of days, will check it out this weekend.

• davejohnsonnola

December 12, 2016 at 9:39 pm

Even with my extensive bartending background, I’d prefer bent jumbo paper clips to sip stir straws for attachment!

• olivero

December 13, 2016 at 8:36 am

We use this type of fabric/mesh that has a yellow side and a yellow side. I think its Dacron but after googling, I am not sure anymore.

IT does not need any type of retaining clips or anything, you just kind of tuck it into where its mounted and it stays put. The stuff we have is 1″ thick

• wyotech

April 21, 2017 at 4:53 pm

After using the cut to fit foam media for years, today I have decided to never use it again. Here’s why: on a True T-23F I had to replace the compressor which included condenser coil chemical cleaning. Having all coils clean and fans operational and performing typical

compressor replacement procedures with new liquid line dryer, 470 micron vacuum and weighing in virgin R-404a by digital scale, I was shocked to observe pressures of 31/426 PSGI at 20F box temperature and kitchen ambient entering condenser of 76F. I removed

the new foam media and watched the pressures decrease to 26/283 PSGI. From now on I’m going to brush and blow out the coils as True recommends (True Manufacturing | Support | Resource Library , Equipment Care and Cleaning, Preventative Maintenance PDF), and chemically clean when needed. I have found using a low pressure steamer like MC1275 on a turned off unit useful for removing

oil and flour deposits.

Page 1 of 2