Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Cracked everpure descaling housing.

• ryantruck9

November 27, 2017 at 5:59 pm

Good read at the links you provided.

I liked the “story ” they tell of the water fountain fixture

At the city hall with the down stream leak

I was aware of water hammer, but don’t think I really thought through all of the actual problems they cause.

I have never even thought about the “open” end having a hammer….

I am thinking of all the solinoid valves that have been replaced over the years where the diaphram is ruptured and valve leaking by…

Perhaps I should consider using the arresters more often

• fixbear

November 27, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Putting more and tighter brackets on a water hammer is just asking for more damage down the line.  The correct solution is to install accumulators or a stand pipe as a accumulator to provide a compressible column that prevents it.  All solenoids are a fast acting valve by nature.  They have to use the incoming pressure to insure valve seating.  As for the cracking, it has to be the weakest point of the canister.  After all, the larger the diameter,  the more square inches,  the more force.

• badbozo2315

November 27, 2017 at 6:15 pm

All this talk about water pressure and hammering, made me realize that on the last one of these that cracked, the customer ordered a new bowl, and had us just spin it on, has the frikin city water tower about 100 feet away. I’ve never checked the pressure there but now…

• fixbear

November 27, 2017 at 6:42 pm

I had one about a 1/2 mile from the bottom of the Hill that the water tower was on.  Incoming pressure was 160 psi.  And yes it did create problems.

• ryantruck9

November 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

I beleive you are correct with the thread crack.

The female threads on mine were the largest diameter of the housing.

Also seemed to be slightly thinner at the thread line.

The compression  force of the threads themselves with the pulling down force directly below them from the ~60PSI water in a 50 square inch container

That’s alot of push!

Now we throw in a water hammer at 4-5 times the force

Crazy

• olivero

November 28, 2017 at 10:13 am

Well there you go, seems like we got it solved. Water hammer is extremely destructive but keeping those pipes tight even with a hammer is just as important as the pipe can dislodge from the strap and break. Seen that too.

Seen the hammer make the pipe rub against an edge and wear a hole through it, 2 different pipes.

Seen the hammer snap the diaphragm bolt on a PRV and make the diaphragm turn sideways and block the water flow completely.

Its a nasty little thing that water hammer, I use the Sioux Chief ones, they work really well, mainly because of their story on it, makes total sense and they definetley test them for performance.

• bush

November 28, 2017 at 11:41 am

The clear bowls on the Kleensteam  systems are made of brittle polycarbonate type resin.  Dont ever drop one without expecting a crack!   They have been phased out in favor of a softer, more durable material that is black in color.  The black color also addresses the issue of algae formation in the bowl, but it makes for difficulty in replacing a scale stick.

OPINION WARNING !!!

I feel any of the phosphate or polyphosphate systems are a waste of the customers money.  For the marginal10 to 15% reduction in scale accumulation, the high cost, and the environmental impact of more phosphates in wastewater I will always look for better solutions.  Just sayin’

• fixbear

November 28, 2017 at 11:44 am

There is no substitute to proper line size and velocity. Undersized lines by one size can double or triple the velocity of the liquid.  How many dishwashers have you seen with a 1/2 inch copper line supplying it. Guess that’s why Hobart wants a relief valve at the connection.

• ectofix

November 28, 2017 at 5:29 pm

bush wrote:

I feel any of the phosphate or polyphosphate systems are a waste of the customers money. 

When I was in the field…and now in-house, I took mental notes of the consistency of the limescale buildup in steamers and (now) my Rational combi-ovens.  No real “case” study here.  Just my observations.

I’d found that a boiler or steam generator WITHOUT that water treatment would contain scale that ultimately forms a mass of rock in there that resembled concrete. DEFINITELY more of a challenge when using hammer, chisel and shop-vac method to remove scale from the much-neglected units.

Otherwise – for units WITH a treatment system like the Everpure SR-X, while generally having no less scale (by the time I was called to look at it) – I found that the scale much easier to break up and remove.  It generally just crumbled when I went to diggin’ into it.

From a standpoint of the unit’s daily operation, at some point a steamer will go through a blowdown to drain mineral-enriched water and refill with fresh water- by whatever way that process may be initiated.  My opinion is that if the scale is “treated” so it’s less likely to “bond” to itself or to precipitate & cling to the inner walls of a boiler, then it’s more likely to be loose enough to flushed out during a blowdown.

So, in essence, such a treatment system can conceivably buy some time between regular descaling intervals.

FWIW:  NO.  I’m not dreaming this stuff up.  Being in-house now, I tend to always monitor the pulse of each of our twenty-six Rational combi-ovens.  Some having their CareControl feature (which I’m a fan of)…and some without it.

I have tracked a few of these ovens BEFORE having that Everpure system…and then monitored them after installing one for a particular oven.

I can say honestly that there was a dramatic reduction in descale intervals after installing the Everpure system.

• ares

November 28, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Curious regarding scale, currently have a customer with a Cleveland 36CGM who is on his third boiler in 5 years, SRX system since day 1, uses dissolve twice a month, blows unit down midday everyday. Water quality is pretty bad, high chloramines, any suggestions aside from gettingbrid of steamer altogether?

This is an official communication from

Norman White

Owner of Advanced Restaurant Equipment

Service Company Inc.

Trusted Service Provider To

The Ninety Restaurant Family

Darden Group

Legal Sea Foods

The Boston Red Sox &

The New England Patriots

No Limits

Relentless Pursuit of Excellence