Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Cracked everpure descaling housing.

• ryantruck9

November 28, 2017 at 6:26 pm

From what I have heard on training courses the water quality can be difficult in your area.

I could go on in some length regarding this , I am fairly certain a few of the gentleman I’ve been reading could be even more insightful.

3 boilers in 5 years on a Cleveland, they might join in just to help! The factory guys are good and in my opinion they make a good pressure vessel.(power 10 has been purged from memory…)

Perhaps starting a new thread?post?  would be best for exposure and experienced Cleveland advise.

• ares

November 28, 2017 at 6:49 pm

I just started a new topic, thanks, funny but all the Cleveland reps out here aren’t very helpful. Had another failure after 14 months on a new unit, to their credit they replaced under full warranty, no pro-rated bs, but that was more due to the level of client than their grace. I would love to be able to offer a treatment package that is fairly straight forward, installed an RO system last year on a well supplied school, kinda wonky system, not real thrilled with it. 

• badbozo2315

November 28, 2017 at 6:50 pm

>have a customer with a Cleveland 36CGM who is on his third boiler in 5 years

We had a similar boiler in the other end of Mass, same deal, 3 boiler shells in 5 years. We kept them descaled and double anodes.  Acidic water? Funny, every boiler shell rotted through in the same exact place, top left corner area. This boiler fed 2 pressure steamers, and 2 kettles, and ran like 15 hours a day.

• olivero

November 28, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I got a 36 CGM as well, 1 boiler 2 compartments.

What do you mean they are going through boilers? Why are they being replaced?

The main thing is keeping the anode(s) in order. I can only imagine you would need to replace the boiler if the heat transfer tubes got wrecked and the fire couldn’t burn, but please specify on why its being replaced. I am very curious as mine is nearing its first 5 years, I opened it up last year and it looked phenomenal still.

We have a carbon block filter on it as well as the system we came to talk about.

• ectofix

November 28, 2017 at 7:02 pm

ryantruck9 wrote:

From what I have heard on training courses the water quality can be difficult in your area.

I could go on in some length regarding this , I am fairly certain a few of the gentleman I’ve been reading could be even more insightful.

I can’t claim any expertise on water quality.  Just those up-close experiences.

For instance.  Our newest Rational ovens are two years old.  I look at their steam generators to be like ones I often saw in many table-top steamers (like a Cleveland 21CET8 or a Groen HY3E, for instance).  Can’t tell you how many times I felt like a geologist for all the rock I’ve extracted from them when I was a field tech.

Yet, I PM these Rationals quarterly.  I peep into their steam generators and they’re clean as a whistle…for two years now.  I only did a descale on them a year ago…just because there was some limescale sediment in the drain hose.  Probably due again.

Granted that they’re 202WE units and I ride the Chefs to clean them OFTEN through a CareControl cycle (did I say I’m a fan?).  Nonetheless, I USED to advise descaling those Clevelands and Groens at least MONTHLY (if not more).  But, here I am looking at my own units that are two years old, having only descaled them ONCE in two years…and they still look good!

FWIW: I’d loved to have had CFESA’s recent training on water quality.  It certainly fits.  It was always a weak area for me.

• ryantruck9

November 28, 2017 at 7:51 pm

From what I understand care control really does help, it seems as though you can confirm. I have been very curious…

Im also sure setting shorter SC Automatics help in basic settings.

I’m also believe you can program forced clean in the WE’s , 5 senses after certain software version so the chef has no choice but to clean using care control tabs.

(No rinse no tabs BS)

So if your worried about a particular chef or shift they have no choice.

I think the qualiffied in house guy, (I’ve also recently become) should be the only one to set up a forced schedule.

As a outside tech,  who are you tell a customer when and what program they should use.. (thats the complaint  call to your boss , salesmen, rep and factory)

Several years ago Alto-shaam really stepped up and put together excellent water quality/control information package.

Maybe on their website.(sorry on phone out if town)

It made it clear to both customers and salesman the importance of water quality and they did it without making a sales pitch for their brand.

• ares

November 28, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Water out of tap smells like a swimming pool, chlorine gassing during steam process can be highly corrosive, I suppose removing chlorine would be one step, RO systems are clunky and miserable to maintain from what I have experienced. Poor ******* blows it down twice daily, uses dissolve twice monthly he makes certain to fill boiler to top using a trick I showed him. Double anodes, honestly drives me nuts, I feel bad for him, small family business. Top of last boiler looked like swiss cheese around transfer tubes. 

• olivero

November 28, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Sounds really odd. 

IF IT WERE ME, I love it when people tell me that.

I have a carbon and sediment on the main line to the kitchen, then each combi and steamer has its own carbon and the steamers have the SR-X system as well, my boiler looks brand new still, its a great thing. Up the filtration, its gotta help and its a whole lot cheaper.

Page 3 of 3