Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Cracked everpure descaling housing.

• Cracked everpure descaling housing.

Posted by guest on November 25, 2017 at 12:00 am

Hey Guys,

I have 2 of the SR-X Everpure descaling systems, both of which have clear housings.

Both of which have developed cracks and have leaked, 1 was a while ago, the other one happened a couple of days ago. Just wondering if you have seen this before?

The crack happens in the clear glass bowl, not in the sump.

Looks like this one

Buy Filter Cartridges – Free Shipping over $50 | Zoro.com 

The water pressure is between 60 -100 PSI, well below 100*F so I don’t know why its happening, any ideas? I would hate to replace them and have them crack again soon.

olivero replied 6 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • ectofix

November 25, 2017 at 7:53 pm

We have those for all of our combi-ovens.  Oddly, despite their so-called HIGHER pressure rating than what the supply pressure tests at, the clear bowls DO crack and start leaking over time.  I’ve never explored the reason why.

Subsequently, we keep replacement bowls in stock.

• ectofix

November 25, 2017 at 8:16 pm

We get our replacements from FMP.  I think this is it if ordered from PartsTOWN:

Everpure 153194-06 #10 SMP 3G CL SA

Make sure the dimensions match yours.  I’d mistakenly ordered a longer bowl that won’t fit the head of the SR-X unit.

• badbozo2315

November 26, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Happens often enough.  The last 2 I’ve seen came through black, not clear.

• ares

November 27, 2017 at 8:00 am

I use quite a few of this system also, but have one account that is constantly cracking the clear housing, right at threads, oddly this customer has horrendously low and erratic water pressure so excess pressure is not the cause, as I have another customer with excessively high pressure who never cracks the clear bowls. Go figure. I personally think the “cracker” as I call him is slamming into the bowl with a stainless work table that he fashioned a high back onto, just my intuition. 

• olivero

November 27, 2017 at 10:16 am

Right, I emailed Everpure asking them about that since I can’t easily find a clear one from Everpure I think they might have changed the material to make them stop cracking.

Seems stupid to me as you won’t know when to change the scale stick if the housing isn’t clear, then you have to remove it at regular intervals, wear out the O-ring and have the housing start dripping. Just not good.

Ectofix,

Thanks for the link, I will have to verify my housings are the same size, I normally buy the entire thing but I guess I don’t need to. Does the O-ring come with that?

Ares,

I would say you are correct, cracking at the threads take a special kind of person. Gotta love these mysteries.

• ryantruck9

November 27, 2017 at 3:14 pm

I have run across this as well.  Mine was supplying a Groen steamer.

we had several housings crack and leak.

60-100 PSI seems high

In my case the pressure was 90 PSI but when the fill valve slammed shut we would get a quick

pressure jump to apprx 110PSI

I installed a small water regulator and adjusted to 40 PSI and installed a water hammer arrestor to help lessen the

spike when water usage stopped.

I didn’t have another one crack after.

usually the combi’s or steamers are happy above 30 PSI

• fixbear

November 27, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I have experienced this too.   with all of the field reports, I’m wondering if it’s water hammer. Every one I had fail was on a solenoid valve.  Maybe we need to install stand pipes?

• olivero

November 27, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Interesting, I have a water hammer phenomena as well which I guess could be contributing to it. 

Water hammer really only would occur on a fast closing valve, Sioux Chief does an exceptional explanation of it here 

https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water-Hamer-Manual-SiouxChief.pdf 

Completely opened my eyes to the world of water hammer, its pretty cool actually, now I am the “go to guy” for water hammer.

Here is how Sioux Chief tests theirs its fascinating.

http://www.siouxchief.com/docs/default-source/technical-documents/other/supply/water-hammer-arrester—hydrarester—end… 

I had a water hammer so bad on a commercial dishwasher that no bracket would hold it, ripped the anchors out of the concrete, broke out of a strap. I Custom made brackets with reinforcement to hold them and added enough shock absorbers to suppress a nuke and since then, its been fine. It has 5 or 6 solenoid valves on it so its constantly opening and closing.

It could very well be the problem for this, don’t understand the logic of it cracking where it does but I guess its possible.

• ectofix

November 27, 2017 at 5:44 pm

olivero wrote:

Ectofix,

Thanks for the link, I will have to verify my housings are the same size, I normally buy the entire thing but I guess I don’t need to. Does the O-ring come with that?

I honestly don’t know.  We keep them separately on our shelf.

PartsTOWN’s picture doesn’t show it.  Their photos usually indicate all the pieces that come with something.

I think this is it:

Everpure EV307119 REPLACEMENT O-RING | Parts Town 

• ares

November 27, 2017 at 5:51 pm

FYI, I have run into 2 different versions of the Everpure Scale Clear Bowl, 3070-19 “Old Style” with male thread, and 3112-39 “New Style” with larger female threads, go figure. 

Page 1 of 3