Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums why does my Hobart AM15 dishwasher keeps steaming when cycle is complete?

• genemattice

December 4, 2017 at 7:14 am

Wow,  what in the world could be done about something like that ?

• fixbear

December 4, 2017 at 9:56 am

Find the source of harmonic if it exists. 60 cycle  isn’t that bad, It’s when it is around 400 cycle radiation that it gets extreme. The easiest way is to get/ borrow a oscilloscope if you have the background to use it.  Today there are power quality analyzers out  there, but they are pricey. like Flukes 40, 400, and 900  series.. Some test equipment like this is available to rent from GE test systems rental pool.  Or you could find a company to come in a test for it.  I don’t know the age of your facillity,  to to see a assisted living running 480 is rare.  That means a lot of transformers to get down to 115/208 V with their related losses. You can always ask your local electrical house.  They would know who has the capability..

On another item with this.  Take a magnet and check your tank for any magnetism.  If there is any it mans the tank is a 400 stainless, not a 300.  That will also increase the ability for it to corrode.

• genemattice

December 7, 2017 at 5:20 am

The dishwasher and the booster are 480 volt so that is straight off the power company transformer.  I’m not really following how this works I guess

• fixbear

December 7, 2017 at 8:16 am

Gene,  Wiki does a good job of explaining them. Google power harmonics.

Generally they are Harmonic voltages and currents in an electric power system are a result of non-linear electric loads. Harmonic frequencies in the power grid are a frequent cause of power quality problems. Harmonics in power systems result in increased heating in the equipment and conductors, misfiring in variable speed drives, and torque pulsations in motors. Examples of non-linear loads include common office equipment such as computers and printers, Fluorescent lighting, battery chargers and also variable-speed drives.  In your case, how much of the buildings are using 277 for lighting?   Improperly built transformers or anything with a rectifier circuit will cause them.  I had to install a 50KVA square wave power tamer in one customers building. 

Page 4 of 4