Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums why does my Hobart AM15 dishwasher keeps steaming when cycle is complete?

• fixbear

November 29, 2017 at 8:40 am

That my fiend sounds like a blockage in the screen of the PRV or solenoid.  Ir in the rinse piping/ nozzles.  Verify gauge accuracy.

Non related, is the dairy still in operation?

• genemattice

November 29, 2017 at 9:04 am

Okay, I can look into the rinse piping. I just noticed rinse pressure is 25 pounds on the top gage.  So that makes sense that something is clogged .  What Dairy do you mean ?

• fixbear

November 29, 2017 at 10:21 am

Stanford

• genemattice

November 29, 2017 at 11:06 am

Its not open.  It was when I was a kid.  I think it was called Prospect Dairy ?  The last sign on it might say Hi-Health.  Not sure how long it has been closed. Maybe over 30 years ?  My father-in-Law used to work there I think.

• fixbear

November 29, 2017 at 11:12 am

I was there weekly in 1970. We had a repair shop in it and every tuesday I had a route from Albany to wassaic, wingdale, Stamford, Johnstown and Glens falls.  Never got home before 2 AM

• genemattice

November 29, 2017 at 11:16 am

That was a while ago. In 1970 I lived right across from the train station. I could see the dairy from my porch.  I was around 9 though

• fixbear

November 29, 2017 at 11:27 am

Gene, Olivero reminded me of something I had forgotten.  And it sounds like it may be related to your problem.  After all, I have worked with assisted housing before. Check this out. 

Chlorine in contact with water and as a dissolved gas, sometimes found in water treatment applications, is potentially aggressive to stainless steels.
    Localised crevice & pitting corrosion attack is a hazard in water and stress corrosion cracking (SCC) can be an additional hazard in damp chlorine gas, if the temperature is high enough.
    Condensates formed over chlorinated water in storage tanks have been known to result in staining or pitting to stainless steels. Improvements to ventilation in such situations should help reduce the risk of attack.

For more there is a linc in the steam generator thread.

• genemattice

November 30, 2017 at 1:01 pm

I just cleaned up the tank we changed last year and it is exactly as you described. It has an actual crack and several pinholes.  I put 40 pounds or air pressure to it and found that it had other leaks  than the one we saw.  The booster had been running quite hot for months too.  Below where it says improvements to ventilation should help. I take that to mean for the outside of the unit.  ?  I’m not sure how I would ventilate a tank.  I will look at that steam generator thread. I really appreciate your help.

• fixbear

November 30, 2017 at 2:30 pm

So— what is your action plan.  Did you find the blockage?  I’m betting on teflon tape in the strainer or one of the valves.  As for the tank stress cracks and pinholes,  Measure your chlorine and ph.  I know that the dish machine uses a lot of water a day, but you may have to do something to remove or lower the chlorine level.  That or spend a thousand a year replacing.

• fixbear

December 2, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Ok, so I’ve done a bit of research on stainless corrosion and stress fracturing. And it seems that it is usually accelerated by high frequency radiation or magnetic field.  Being 480 volt I certain that the the motor field magnetism reaches out that far  But more a concern would be a harmonic in your power system.  Usually 4th or 7th generation.  They are common today with electronic ballast on lighting and computer systems.  If you have that problem, it would create a radiation from the heating coils.  Also excessive motor heat. 

Page 3 of 4