Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums need to know if it will work

• need to know if it will work

Posted by guest on February 22, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a friend  that has two inside boxes one is mod#c5x8ep  ser#p000058998 the other one is mod#c5x12ep 

ser# p000058998   the out side unit we can not read the mod & ser  but the compressor mod# zs15k4etf5230  ser#06a35653g customer # 21156002  will this equipment work together#

thanks for your help

fixbear replied 7 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • john

February 22, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Hello,

Other users on the forum may have more technical insight than I can provide–with that said, I didn’t get any relevant information searching C5x8ep or c5x12ep

I did find that zs15k4etf5230 is a Copeland 2HP compressor.

Swapping out compressors and working with ozone depleting refrigerants should only be done by a trained and certified technician. Refrigerant is in a sealed system, and without the proper tools and knowledge, it is really easy to ruin a compressor for no reason.

-John

• olivero

February 22, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Sir, License and registration please?

Call Copeland and ask them, or Emerson, I am sure they can help you cross reference those things.

But before you do that, make sure you find out which type of refrigerant is used on what system because if its not all the same type, you might end up changing oil which will take any profit you were expecting and ruin it.

Lots of variables.

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 9:37 am

15,400 BTU R404 EMT or 15,000 BTU R22 MT  obsolete compressor. Not for AC use.   Cooler! . I think that his numbers are a 5 by 12  and a 5 by 12 walk in cooler..But can’t find the maker.  EP is problaby external purpose, C is cooler. But a lot of them have come and gone over the years.

• fixbear

February 23, 2017 at 9:38 am

Short answer, NO

But let’s try to give you a understanding on why.  Each Compressor/condenser unit is designed fora specific refrigerant and BTU capacity as well as operating range. (AC, Low, Medium, High and ultra low) A R12 high temp and a 404 low temp may use the same motor, but the compressor displacement will be much different. Yet the may look identical. They also have to be matched very closely to the evaporator design to work. To big a compressor and it will freeze up, short cycle, cost more electrically, and remove to much moisture. To small will run overload, fail prematurely, not cool the box, and spoil contents due to long recovery.

Over the years I have had hundreds of customers ask this same question.  So I take down the information on there units, go to the book’s (before computers)  for design capacities, come back with a answer.  If possible I have in the past installed a used unit to only find the compressor is bad in so way  like a internal valve leak or intermittent motor problem or hard start due to bad bearings or piston score or a crankshaft seal leaking. .  Now you have all this labor involved (4 hours or more) and a unit that doesn’t work even though the owner swears that it was good when taken out. Yes, some were successful, but less than 25%. With the cost of refrigerant and no recovery like today plus 8 hours of labor or more silver braze and the down time it just doesn’t make any sense and will cost more than just buying a new one.  This was when R12 cost us $19 per 30 lb cylinder and we got a whopping $20 hour.  We also saw a lot of Copemetics and Kysors,  Let alone the occasional GE, and Frigidaire

If you provide compressor makes and models we may be able to tell you design factors, but it will take a bit. The models you provided don’t cross with anything today. What type of service did they come out of?  Sometimes their are specials built that aren’t in normal books..  I would also need evaporator make and model.

• alnelson

February 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm

C5X is a Hussmann open multi-deck case. 

The C5X8ep is an 8 foot case

The C5X12ep is a 12 foot case

The load is 1444 BTU per foot. You’ve got a 8 foot case and a 12 foot case. Total lineup would be 20 feet. That’s 28,888 BTU.

Your condensing unit with the ZS15 compressor is too small. It’s good for roughly 15,000btu.

The condensing unit could do one case but not both. 

http://www.hussmann.com/en/Technical%20Documents/0480105_K_C5X-EP_EN.pdf 

• fixbear

February 28, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for that. Never thought to look at Hussman. Knew I had seen those numbers before.  If he had said open face or display, I would have known.