Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Manitowoc SD05002A ice machine magnetic bin switch replacement?

• chefhenryclay

October 10, 2018 at 12:43 pm

I plugged the machine back into the wall this a.m. and switched to ice mode. the tank didin`t empty and no water came in, no compressor start. I switched to clean mode and no water circulation at all. I will test the plug on the toggle switch and hoping it is preventing the machine from starting.

After switching to ice mode,pressing the service mode button on the board All the control board lights will come on together  after that the board lights will sequence up to the green bin light and continues to do that. I did wait 3.5 minutes for the board to reset as the tech manual says but the light sequence just stays on. Nothing happens for the sequence of operation. The chassis lower frame has no rust.

• fixbear

October 10, 2018 at 2:40 pm

The service button is designed to provide line voltage to the Pump, And solenoids. 

But let’s back up a second.  Do this first

Especially item 6 Pull it off the control box, clean, and replace.  It’s the green wire from the bottom molex plug to the ground screw. Make sure the control board cabinet is grounded to the chassis.

• chefhenryclay

October 10, 2018 at 3:50 pm

Hey this might be the culprit. The wires from the wall outlet to the

electrical machine entrance box were pretty frayed and the wire nut was

burned up on the black wire. I don`t have time to splice the wires back

today but it would make sense as to the weird control board lights and

clicking noise if there wasn`t enough voltage going into the unit.

• fixbear

October 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm

and thats why we all carry a good DVOM and quality leads

• ectofix

October 10, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Chef, I admire your persistence. I’m happy to hear you troubleshot it to that level. 

Many folks asking questions here fall W-A-Y short of what you’ve demonstrated.  For that reason, I’m always hesitant to answer questions from those coming here who AREN’T technicians.  There’s some danger to that….since we some REALLY ignorant questions.

Yours was a good one, though.

My personal adage is “You never know what others don’t know.”  I derived that from my many years as an instructor of electrically-intensive technical stuff.  I used some of the most MUNDANE analogies to explain some concepts and theories I was teaching…only to find myself having to explain the ANALOGY that I was using.

• chefhenryclay

October 10, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Thanks so much, very kind words  I do have ice dropping once again because

of you. You are a damn good tech town techie!

• henry

January 31, 2019 at 8:24 pm

Magnetic door switches on the S series Manitowoc’s or tricky to diagnose you have to read microamps and open and close it at least 20 times to determine that’s the issue

• henry

January 31, 2019 at 8:25 pm

And check for a good ground to the machine

Page 2 of 2