Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Manitowoc SD05002A ice machine magnetic bin switch replacement?

• Manitowoc SD05002A ice machine magnetic bin switch replacement?

Posted by guest on October 9, 2018 at 12:00 am

I would like to replace the magnetic bin switch but do not know how to access it. A defective bin switch can falsely indicate a full bin of ice which I believe is what is occurring on my ice machine.

The bin switch is a magnetically operated reed switch. The magnet is attached to the lower right corner of the water curtain/ice dampers.  The switch is attached to the right bulkhead wall. Where is all this?

I am also going to replace the toggle switch as well. The machine was working fine and filled but then starting making a clicking sound as if it wants to start up.

henry replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • ectofix

October 9, 2018 at 5:10 pm

In my short dozen years servicing Mani ice machines, I’ve never had to replace a bin switch.  Otherwise, the water curtain was a frequent offender.

First and foremost, I suggest that you make sure that the machine is LEVEL.  The water curtain’s return swing following a harvest is entirely dependent upon gravity.  If the head unit is pitched forward even the s-l-i-g-h-t-e-s-t amount, then the water curtain may not swing fully back.  As such, the magnet at its lower right-hand corner may not be close enough to the Reed switch to keep it actuated. 

Additionally – under such conditions I described above – once the water pump turns on, the flow of water underneath it might be j-u-s-t enough spatter to coax the curtain to swing outboard ever so slightly.  THAT may be causing the clicking sound you hear once it starts up (following FILL).

EDIT: you said you BELIEVE it’s a faulty bin switch.  To be SURE, there’s an LED on the control board which remains lit whenever the bin switch is closed.  Use that LED as part of your diagnosis.

As for access to the switch?  With my having never needed to replace one, I’d have to be there.  However, it sure seems to me that you’d find it quite handily once you remove the right side panel.  Try chasing the wires to it from the control board.

• chefhenryclay

October 9, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply! I can eliminate the bin switch because the one green LED light is lit  when the curtain is closed and the light goes off when the curtain is open.

Would it be the toggle switch(on-off-clean)? the cleaning cycle doesn`t start even if the toggle switch is moved to clean mode. I was reading in the service manual that the cleaning mode should begin if the toggle switch is pressed to clean.  The clicking sound when switching to the on position is at the top near the toggle switch.

• fixbear

October 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm

First off, get your model number right. Extra zeros can be confusing.  I think you mean you have a S series 500 pound  Dice air cooled machine.  The old workhorse of the restaurant tavern industry. Although taverns liked the half dice (SY)  Also known as a SD0502A.  What you posted would be a 2 1/2 ton ice machine per day if they even made one that big. (they don’t)

Now, like Ectofx said, LEVEL it. If not precise it will not harvest or will do what you described.  The magnet is a small one embedded in the harvest cover.  You are correct that it is the lower right side, and just a bulge. The reed switch is right behind it on the back of the evaporator frame. Where the cover and magnet touch.  .It is accessed from next to the compressor.

Now let’s address:

The machine was working fine and filled but then starting making a clicking sound as if it wants to start up.

That my friend sounds like a compressor starting problem.  Or Dump valve solenoid,  Or Compressor contactor. OR hot gas solenoid.   I would start by Cleaning the machine and checking all the plug’s,  wiring..  Make sure to remove the spray bar and clean the interior with special attention to the spray holes.  Then watch the board.  If you see the ice thickness probe flashing before ice has formed to near completion, remove it, clean it with ice machine cleaner or vinegar,  and rinse it clean with water. Then dry. You may need a toothbrush to get in the corners. Check adjustment to be about 3/16.  Before replacing the cover, check water flow over the evaporator to be even and smooth.  

Identify where the clicking is coming from before replacing parts needlessly.

This service manual covers all the S line. find it here;

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/MAN-S-Series_sm.pdf

• fixbear

October 9, 2018 at 7:11 pm

chefhenryclay wrote:

The clicking sound when switching to the on position is at the top near the toggle switch.

The only thing there is the relays on the board and the compressor contactor behind the board.

• ectofix

October 9, 2018 at 7:13 pm

To BE CLEAR, it’s impossible to diagnose your machine without my being there.  Furthermore, a VOM would be needed to explore what you’re relaying to me. 

I can’t say that it’s the switch without testing it with a VOM or putting my eyes and ears on it.

Your problem COULD be the switch…but if its intermittent (as you description implies), then the machine should start all over again in a PURGE…then a HARVEST cycle.  IF it was the switch.

You didn’t described it that way.

From what you described, it sounds like a relay on the CONTROL BOARD might be failing.  As such, the BOARD might be the culprit.  However, that’s not conclusive.

AGAIN, I don’t know exactly what you’re seeing and hearing (or NOT) in order to make an assessment.

For THAT and other reasons – since you’re NOT a technician, I can’t offer any additional help to you unless you can fill in some blanks that only a technician normally WOULD have already.

• ectofix

October 9, 2018 at 7:17 pm

So here I was typing, then you chimed in.  I’m glad you did since my next suggestion was for him to await your comments.

• fixbear

October 9, 2018 at 7:19 pm

WE  are good.  And I like how we cover the bases together.

• fixbear

October 9, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Iteresting.

chefhenryclay wrote:

Would it be the toggle switch(on-off-clean)? the cleaning cycle doesn`t start even if the toggle switch is moved to clean mode.

When the power switch is moved to the clean mode,  The water pump should start .

• chefhenryclay

October 9, 2018 at 9:35 pm

You are right it is Model SD0502A. I know it could be alot of things as to why my ice machine will not power up. As per previous reply 

When the power switch is moved to the clean mode,  The water pump should start .

The water pump doesn`t start in clean mode. Nothing happens, no sound of any kind, The control board clean light(yellow at the top) will come on when the power switch is moved to clean mode but then immediately shut off. I thought replacing the toggle switch would the cheapest route to try and fix the old workhorse of the restaurant tavern industry.(I like that name for an Ice Machine)

Anyway, Ice Machine Control boards cost alot of money but it looks like they are easy to replace. 

Tech guys cost $120/hour in labor cost alone.

• fixbear

October 10, 2018 at 11:20 am

Undersand that the ice-clean switch is DC and only controls the board.  It does not de-energize anything else.  Also note that the largest amount of calls relate to the DC side of the machine. Water sensor, ice sensor feed back though the chassis for sensing at very low voltages. So overall chassis condition matters.  If there is a lot of rust on the lower frame,  it’s time to look for a new one.  You never said whether it was a early machine or a energy star.

When you put the machine in clean, you should hear the dump valve open and the water solenoid open.  They will also light on the board. After a short period the pump will start and water will circulate. If this is not happening, remove the plug on the switch and test it with a ohm meter. A small resistance in the switch will create problems due to the low voltage.  If the switch test ok, call a tech to test the board..

Make sure to read the sequence of operation section of the tech manual before you start. Understanding how it works is 90% of the battle.

You said earlier that it would just click in Ice mode. What you didn’t tell me was if there was water coming in,  If the tank emptied,  If the water stopped coming in when full,  And if the compressors started. (both air and refrigeration),  And the condenser fan. If you have a water probe problem, it will never continue to go to freeze.

I have to apologize for not answering this last night.  Seems my computer power supply decided to make smoke as I was replying.  Forcing a shutdown till I could repair it.  And a panic from my wife.

Page 1 of 2