Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives oven burner and pilot will go out after aprox. 10 min.

• oven burner and pilot will go out after aprox. 10 min.

Posted by guest on April 18, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a Vulcan gas stove model eg60f I will light pilot to oven and burner will light after about 10 min oven burner and pilot will go out did replace thermocoupler

fixbear replied 8 years ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • badbozo2315

April 18, 2016 at 6:41 pm

How on earth does one go from this:

>I will light pilot to oven and burner will light after about 10 min oven burner and pilot will go out

…to this:

>Based on your description of the problem, I would replace the thermostat

What possible troubleshooting tree led to that conclusion?

I’m just flabbergasted.

• alnelson

April 18, 2016 at 8:16 pm

+1 on what badbozo said

If the pilot is going out, it’s not the thermostat.

• abialas

April 19, 2016 at 9:15 am

Hey Dan,

From Vulcan: “Based on your description of the problem, I would replace
    the thermostat. I would also look at the gas pressure. It should read 4” W.C
    for natural gas or 10” for LP.”

Got this response from contacting Vulcan Technical support… but according to the Technicians below this could not possible be the issue. I would recommend contacting Vulcan Technical support direct at 866-281-5831 for direct assistance, they should be able to help trouble shoot this issue over the phone.

• abialas

April 19, 2016 at 9:25 am

badbozo2315 alnelson

I sent the info provided by Dan to Vulcan and this is the response i received. I have since revised the comment above and advised the customer to contact Vulcan technical support direct over the phone for assistance.

I appreciate your advice on this!

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

• badbozo2315

April 19, 2016 at 4:33 pm

>Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Just your basic troubleshooting things first-

Proper gas pressure, holding steady while turning on other equipment;

Pilot flame size- is the orifice clear and providing a flame that impinges on the thermocouple in a proper  manner, while the burner is at full song;

Is the combustion chamber flue-ing properly, ie not flowing lazy flames out the front;

Is the main burner air shutter set properly, not sooting up everything;

Is the bypass set properly on that BJ style thermostat;

If all that is good, and you’ve already replaced the thermocouple, you need a pilot safety valve.

• olivero

April 19, 2016 at 5:36 pm

Check your gas regulator, there is a little brass piece in the top of it, its called a vent limiter, if its clogged or blocked somehow, that can cause this.

Had things like this happen with Vulcan grills, griddles, ranges, etc. too many times to count. You should be able to boil out the grease (if its grease) there is a really small hole in it somewhere, very hard to find but its there. Some will have balls in them with a spring bushing it away from the hole and some will have just an empty limiter with a small hole in it.

Anyways, check it out and let us know.

• wynberry

May 5, 2016 at 10:36 am

I have found that there is a plate under the burner and pilot that is a grate that allows for combustion air intake from under the range.  This grate gets plugged up with grease and dust and this can affect the pilot.  When I do pilot and burner maintenance I always pull this plate and clean it.

• fixbear

May 5, 2016 at 4:25 pm

One thing no one mentioned was air quality to the burner. If the oven does not vent correctly any moisture turns to steam and can cause exactly what this one does. If someone spills boiling liquid on the floor in front of a oven it will extinguish the flames Same happens if the bottom pan leaks or the oven vent is plugged. Steam = no O2.

Check Gas pressure and monitor flow till it goes out.