Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Amana AQC0501DRW00 chest freezer problem

• Amana AQC0501DRW00 chest freezer problem

Posted by Anonymous on April 26, 2023 at 5:59 am

Greetings from Nova Scotia-
    I have a chest freezer that is not cooperating. When plugged in both temp light and compressor light stays on. The compressor does not engage. It just clicks to come on and then 5 seconds later it clicks off without any action from the compressor. Can you help me here?
    Would a 3 in 1 start kit possibly resolve the issue?
    I appreciate your time :-). Angelo

Darkbrew replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • fixbear

April 26, 2023 at 10:12 am

That’s hard to say. I can’t condone 3 in 1 starters except for temporary emergency use. But to solve your problem requires a bit of testing with a DVOM. Basically you have to open the compressor electrical cover, Power off and disconnected please, Remove the starter and capacitor connection to the compressor terminals. Then ohm out the windings for both the correct resistance and no short to ground. Most compressor manufacturer’s publish winding specs, starter model, capacitor spec.

BTW, do you hear the overload “click” upon energizing? It could be the problem if open. When you energize the compressor, you should feel and hear a hum. Then a vibration of the motor running and a rise in heat of the high side tubing. If after a few seconds you hear a “click”, the overload has tripped. If not, either the motor is not getting power or is running, but not pumping refrigerant. Mechanical failure or liquid failure.

• Darkbrew

April 30, 2023 at 8:40 am

It might, if the issue is one of the 3 components it replaces. Just make sure you get the right HP rating. I would check to see where your amps are when it tries to start and see if you’re at LRA. If you are, then you’ve got a bad compressor. No need to troubleshoot any further at that point.