Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Atosa msf8302 cooling on and off

Tagged: 

• fixbear

January 7, 2021 at 6:27 pm

It can ne tested with a digital ohm meter at the controller. Measure the temp at the coil, then the resistance at the controller.

• flakflaki

January 8, 2021 at 12:23 am

I found the thermistor it and it works , what else do you think could be?

some guy said that it could be the defrost sensor or defrost problem but not sure how to find it or how it looks

• fixbear

January 8, 2021 at 7:48 am

It’s not a freezer, so it doesn’t have either a heater or defrost sensor in the normal form. The controller will not start the compressor till the sensor tells it that the coil is above 36 to 39 degrees F. That way it goes through a defrost every cycle. The Evaporator will get down to about 10F near the end of cycle.

Now with Dixel controllers, They are made to be able to use 1 or 2 temperature sensors. Quality units will use 2. One for the box temp and one for the evaporator temp. If your cooler does not have two, You are more likely to experience ice up of the evaporator.

But you are telling us that even if the compressor starts, it isn’t cooling till you unplug it and restart. Is that correct? Is warm air coming out the condenser before reboot? What is the temp of the compressor suction line? Any frost?

Unfortunately, Atosa does not provide much documentation or engineering. Does your machine have a solenoid valve with a separate cooling circuit for the top pan area?

• olivero

January 8, 2021 at 11:55 am

Sounds to me like the comp is not restarting every time.

Seen it before, normally bad start components.

• fixbear

January 8, 2021 at 8:27 pm

agreed, but not what he is telling me.

• flakflaki

January 8, 2021 at 1:36 pm

I think The compressor is running all the time , I checked the evaporator inside and it had very little “snow” at the beginning the compressor was running and it was really hot , I couldn’t hold my hand in it , does it mean it is low on freon?

• fixbear

January 8, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Not necessarily. How hot is it and what temperature is the suction line to the compressor?

Please don’t jump to conclusion’s or replace parts without knowing that they have a problem. The key here is to actually find the problem and correct it. You are our eyes and ears on this. So just let us know what you observe.

• flakflaki

January 8, 2021 at 7:37 pm

I’m trying to do my best, at the same time trying to learn at least something on this matter as a restaurant owner. Now days is hard to find a good honest technician that doesn’t try to replace every single part till they find the problem. I’m not sure which is the suction line but I’ve touched both of them and one is hot and the other one i would say it is cold but didn’t seem could enough , the compressor runs all the time, and I don’t have anything to measure that temperature but when i touch it I can’t hold my hand in it for more than a second or two.

The evaporator inside it is not snow all the way , just a little bit at the beginning where the hose comes from the back side, i was thinking it doesn’t have enough freon to make it colder. I might be wrong. Also this compressor doesn’t have a valve to check the freon, i guess will have to add one to make sure it has enough.

This is my best bet and i could be wrong since i’m not a professional ,

Thanks

• fixbear

January 8, 2021 at 8:18 pm

The evaporator inside it is not snow all the way , just a little bit at the beginning where the hose comes from the back side, i was thinking it doesn’t have enough freon to make it colder.

At what point in the cycle, after it has run say a hour?

Also this compressor doesn’t have a valve to check the freon

That is correct. It is illegal to add a tap and leave it today. Systems are sealed for EPA reasons and rarely need to have access. Not saying that there are ones that require access at times, but its not common. It also require a EPA License and a lot of expensive support equipment ready on standby. Prior to the Montreal protocol in 1992, one could do refrigeration work with less than a $400 investment. After 92 you better have at least $10,000 to get started. Otherwise you were not in compliance.

Now what we need to know is a bit technical at this point. Like compressor amps, discharge temp, suction temp, and box temp. The compressor is cooled by return gas from the evaporator. Lack of flow will feel like a hot compressor. But so will a lack of cooling at the condenser. ie. blockage, fan speed.

<font face=”inherit”>To be honest, you need to find a good tech for this. You can not personally open and work on a refrigeration unit without facing a $25,000 Federal fine </font>Licensed<font face=”inherit”> Techs get a call number to report suspected violations and 50 percent of the fine for reporting it. I don’t know where you are at, but as I previously mentioned, there are good techs across the whole country. But yes, there are also predatory techs out to take advantage of people. Like I said before, contact your local refrigeration supply house. They will point you in the right direction. </font>Preferably<font face=”inherit”> a RSES tech that holds a CM.</font>

• flakflaki

January 8, 2021 at 8:50 pm

Not sure if you can se this photo i just uploaded, but it is like this pretty much all the time, the compressor runs none stop and there is this much snow on the evaporator, just at the beginning. It doesn’t drop the temperature we have to help it with ice to keep it under 40F .

D17DB05D AF2E 48B4 898C D90032FA1813
  • fixbear

January 9, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Do they use a cap tube or TXV for metering the refrigerant? It is possible you have a low charge, but with a sealed system it isn’t a norm. Your picture shows that it is starving for refrigerant at the evaporator. Check the liquid line at the dryer/filter. If the outgoing side is colder than the liquid coming in, You’ll need a tech to fix it. That’s also where you can tell if it’s a cap tube system. You’ll see the line size drop to about 1/16 inch.

Page 2 of 2