Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives HL600 Mixer transmission

• fixbear

November 25, 2018 at 7:09 pm

olivero wrote:

Looks like that’s actually a notch which allows you to remove the ball bearings and disassemble the bearing.

With a double row axial thrust bearing like that they can press the one side in. Because it is designed as a axial load bearing. But the other has to e assembled one ball at a time into the ball spacer. It’s not made to be disassembled, but I’ve done it a few times. I take it the bad side was down?  And couldn’t clear itself from forien objects.   It’s actually a angular load ball bearing designed for both axial and radial load.

At least it’s not $50,000 bearing like I used to work with.

• olivero

November 25, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Yup, how it’s gonna be.

I ain’t getting it from Parts Town though, no way. Not paying $300 for a bearing, no way.

But the notched side was facing down originally, so I figured to make means to an end or whatever the saying is, I put it back in upside down with the good raceway now carrying the motherload. I know, I know what your thinking “you hack SOB!” but, it’s for the better, the only thing that it could possibly wreck further, is that bearing.

It’ll have to do until I can get a new one, I put it back together and just tested it, sounds a whole lot better, but I put too much grease in the planetary, lots of squishy sounds, lol.

Hopefully it holds up for a day or 2, I think it will, that bearing is drowned in oil.

• olivero

May 31, 2019 at 9:13 am

in case anyone cares I just went through and did this all again, replaced the bearing this time, didn’t just flip it around, new seal, new oil and so on.

Talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, said that type of damage to the raceway is from an up and down type load more so than side to side which is what this bearing is supposed to handle more so.

Do you guys put the planetary back as the last item or how do you reassemble it? I tried putting the planetary back together with the main drive shaft already installed and then realized I would have no way to make sure the seal was in there properly and sure enough, it leaked when I poured a little oil in the tranny so I pulled it back out and put the main drive shaft in, then reassembled the tranny and then put the planetary in.

Page 3 of 3