Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums R-290 PROPANE

• fixbear

February 6, 2018 at 7:42 am

Law’s and reporting are different in India.  It is possible to design to w heavier spec that would not give problems,  (like the Mars rover) but at what cost. North American and European manufacturers tend to try and keep the cost down and profits up. Design to the absolute minimum that will reliably get past the warranty period.  CAD design and testing has made it get even closer.  In the sixties it was common practice to design 150% over.  Today 115%. Not much room for error in building or materials.

• ectofix

February 6, 2018 at 8:08 pm

It doesn’t matter what’s NOT happened in India.  I’m relaying views of it as it applies here in the U.S.A.:

EPA Warns That Recharging Air Conditioners With Wrong Refrigerant Poses Injury, Fire Risks

From abroad, here’s some random news about incidences regarding hydrocarbons as a refrigerant.  I’m sure there are more:

Company fined $150k over worker’s death from blast caused by spark from vacuum cleaner Hydrocarbon gas blamed for fatal explosion Fridge safety standards must change Exploding refrigerator blamed for Londonderry garage fire

Hydrocarbon refrigerants have an ASHRAE classification as A3.  A3 = higher (highest) flammability.  The market in the U.S.A. will likely veer towards usage of a safer A2L classification or better:

A2L refrigerants – myths and realities (Pt 1) A2L refrigerants – myths and realities (Pt 2) A2L Refrigerants?

Daikin innovations will likely be the catalyst for our NEXT AC systems to replace R410A – which our current market sells:

What’s R-32?

R32 is a blend which still includes use of refrigerants that have a higher GWP.  However, it still has a lower GWP than straight-up R410A.   It will likely to become primary in the market due to its lower flammability than the straight-up hydrocarbon R290 (and its illegal variation as R22A).

For the refrigeration market side of things, HFOs might be the direction it takes:

New Generation of HFO Refrigerants

No matter how you look at it, any current HVAC/R technician has just GOT to be saying “Jeez!  I thought I had it bad in 1992!  I can’t wait to retire NOW!!!”

• olivero

February 6, 2018 at 9:01 pm

It’s all very interesting, I don’t have a need to go to R290 but I will need to switch over all my walk in refrigerators so they aren’t using R22 and that’s my main concern in all this right now. 2 more years and then we are screwed.

• fixbear

February 7, 2018 at 10:10 am

If you have any that were mineral oil, start oil changes now to flush it out. It takes a minimum of 4 changes to get it low enough for the Polyoester to not react. Copeland  provided me a refactometer for testing it. (optical hydrometer)

Page 3 of 3