Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a KITCHEN AID KUIX305ESS 15″ ICE MAKER. The machine is making ice okay, but when the machine starts its new cycle and begins to fill its water pan it seems to over fill the pan which the water overflows through a relief port that fills the bottom o

• fixbear

February 28, 2017 at 7:47 am

The overflow is supposed to return to the sump.  The ice is not in the sump, but the basket above.  If you have the sump overfilled, then the ice will lay in the sump water causing it to melt.  It takes about 4 hours for the machine to cool off the storage area and stabilize at which time the machine will slow down on melting.  All the sump water has to cool to 32F for any stabilization to happen.  No matter what we do in refrigeration, there is always heat loss and melting of your ice.  After all, Ice is just a storage system to absorb heat. 

This is a home machine, not commercial.  This site is primarily for commercial machines.

• sweett

February 28, 2017 at 9:24 am

Fixbear, thanks for your reply. What would be a good site for home machine tech support. Im on a vessel that travels frequently out of the US, so Im responsible for fixing these issues as I go with not easy access to parts or service. 

I understand that the overflow is supposed to return to the sump, it just seems as if it is calling for water longer then it has to which in turn is filling the ice storage bin with water and melting my produced ice. I have 2 other machines of the same sort the operate very similar, and they cut off rather quickly after filling the water tray before over flowing lots of water to the sump. Im wondering if there is a possible issue with the float or level sensor that would cut off the call for water to the tray, or if there is any way to recalibrate it or service it in house.

Thanks again for your help.

• sweett

February 28, 2017 at 10:36 am

Great thanks for the info. Looks like I’ll be the technician sorting this issue out since I’m along ways from the installer, but think your pointing me in the right direction.

• fixbear

February 28, 2017 at 10:44 am

I made a mistake in my thinking. I apoligize for not researching a bit before replying. 

After looking it up, it is close to old the 15 inch hot wire undercounters from the 50’s.  With a lot of pump, and control sensing improvement..  Not what I was expecting as hot wire went out a long time ago.  . With this model it is vary important to get the machine level.  The excess water is to carry of impurities in each cycle that come out of the water in the freezing process with plate ice.  The overflow water is for purge and should not be going into the storage compartment.  .It should be going into the water pan and down the purge tube (overflow). One of two things I can think of, The overflow is plugged or restricted.  Or the machine is on over-pressure from your water source and the inflow is faster than gravity can drain it. The technician that installed this and did the commissioning should have closely followed the install manual and tested for this. 

As for the sensor, it is a electronic one that clips into the pan.  Does your machine have the optional drain pump package?  As for programming the purge time, I don’t have that information.  The domestic line likes to keep their books private to keep homeowners from doing things they shouldn’t.

• olivero

February 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I haven’t even looked up the manual but let’s take it from the top.

How does it sense water? Electronic? piece of metal in the water? timer? float switch?