Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives scotsman ice maker code 8

• Sanchezhvac

December 29, 2020 at 3:56 pm

When I got to the ice machine there was a Code 2 Max Harvest Time. It looked like the harvest assist probe wasn’t pushing out all the way so I manually pushed it in and out a few times. It made ice twice after that without no Code 2. Then the third time it wabout 6-10 minutes into the freeze cycle it started to flash Code 8. So now im trying to see what these two codes have in common.

• fixbear

December 29, 2020 at 4:33 pm

What I’ve seen in the field that commonly does what your saying, is a dirty machine. Mineral build up on the evaporator creates surface friction that delays the sheet from separating from the evaporator. Minerals build up on the spray bar and water shelf disrupts the flow so that the sensor trips the controller early. If you remove the top and watch behind the curtain the thickness sensor, you’ll see water flowing off the shelf and hitting it instead of softly flowing down the evap. If you have a “A” version machine, check the spray bar and mounts. They had to be updated because of this.

• fixbear

December 29, 2020 at 4:45 pm

I should explain the harvest assist probe. It only has to push the ice sheet out enough to break the suction from laminar flow. Once air get’s behind the sheet, Gravity takes over after that. Other machines use a air compressor to break the vacuum. Older machines just had a longer harvest. It’s all because of the EPA energy ratings and why Scotsman no longer can make their highly revered “Contour Cube”. Bars loved them. Big looking drink with very little in it but ice.

• Sanchezhvac

December 29, 2020 at 6:00 pm

Now I’m scratching my head because this machine was just cleaned. Not sure how much more we can clean it. I can probably run some cleaner though it again and see if it makes any difference. How have you seen the harvest assist probes fail?

• fixbear

December 29, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Rarely on the harvest assist probe. Look at it from the back for a cracked plastic.

Did you clean fully and disassemble like the manual says? Is the spray bar reassembled correctly? Did you remove and hand clean, soak, rinse and dry the harvest sensor. Very important! Did you remove the spray bar, clean the flow edge and spray bar internally as well as externally? Usually the flow edge needs a green scrounge (3-M) to get fully clean and smooth.

Go to page 38 in this manual for more on cleaning. Again, inspect the spray bar mounts. They had problems that caused what you are describing.

• Sanchezhvac

January 4, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Another thing what the normal freeze cycle time?

• fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 3:55 pm

That depends on the model. A full cube takes longer than a half or dice does.

• Sanchezhvac

January 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm

I have C1848SW-32A. It has a left and a right evaporator. I have done everything and still getting the Code 2 Flashing. I believe all the Nickel plate is gone on the evaporator grid.

• fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Ouch! That means someone used a cleaner other than Scotsman. If the Nickle plating is damaged you have two choices. Both are expensive. Replace the evaporators or the machine. It will not meet heath codes if flaking. Be aware that aluminum is a serious health risk today as causing altimeters. Down the road I’m certain their will be lawsuits on this. After all, how many sites use Aluminum pots today. The problem is that sometimes they put a acid based product in them. Like a marinara sauce. We are all going to see more on this in the future. With Ice machines we are seeing lower ph with our water supplies. Part of the acid rain I guess. And it’s eating evaporators. Depends on what part of the country your in. If you water supply is chlorinated. not a problem as chlorine is a base (12 ph) that buffers the water into the 7 to 8 range. But if your customer is operating off a well or spring, everything goes out the window.

• fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 4:49 pm

There are many variables to the freeze cycle. Water temp, air temp are the main ones. The machine actually learns it’s location over time. So no 2 will be the same. Suffice it to say that 6 min is the minimum and 45 is the max.

But when it comes to cleaning, it requires the disassemble of the curtain, spray bar, thickness sensor and water level sensors. If this isn’t done, it’ hasn’t been cleaned. One also has to scrub the top spillway. Anything less will cause problems with the Prodigy’s. One also has to be aware of the water supply and how hard it is. They don’t like minerals! Filtration is a must. And sometimes injection.

• fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 6:52 pm

Sanchez, you should be aware that that model “A” series had a spillway problem. I can’t find the tech bulletin, but the service kit is here

Page 2 of 4