Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Food Prep Hobart HL 662 dough mixer wont start

• ShawnF

March 28, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Agreed ectofix, the service company should own this problem. I’m just thinking outload here, but have you verified that even though the contactor pulls in, that there is power coming out of the contactor?

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 6:33 pm

hello. a hobart tech didnt replace the drive, we did

based on the advice of an on call hobart tech that actually helped us. ( they usually wont help ,this guy did). and thats the part number i have, the replacement drive looks like an upgrade to the original,a little different with a digital display, but adaptor harnessess came with it , perhaps that explains the different part number?

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 6:34 pm

shawnforan , the power comes from the drive output to the contactor, so even though the contactor pulls in, no power to the motor

• fixbear

March 28, 2020 at 6:41 pm

But did you actually measure the phase output voltages? Just because you hear and see a contactor close, Doesn’t mean the internal contacts are conducting electricity.

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 6:51 pm

hello yes, 208 volts at L1 ,L2 and L3 is present at all times at the VFD inputs. the VFD outputs go to the conator, not directly to the motor . when the start button is pressed, the contactor coil pulls in, but there is no voltage at the output of th drive, so none at the contactor. its like the drive isnt activating with the start button.

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 6:51 pm

hello yes, 208 volts at L1 ,L2 and L3 is present at all times at the VFD inputs. the VFD outputs go to the conator, not directly to the motor . when the start button is pressed, the contactor coil pulls in, but there is no voltage at the output of th drive, so none at the contactor. its like the drive isnt activating with the start button.

• ectofix

March 28, 2020 at 6:59 pm

<div>Ah. Gotcha after I re-read it.</div><div>

Are the time and speed displays showing proper displays when you turn the knobs?

</div><div>

</div>

• ectofix

March 28, 2020 at 6:59 pm

effing <div> divs

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 7:02 pm

yes they are and when you change the time on the display, the same happens on the drive. the hobart tech told our tech that because the time doesnt start to count down when the start button is pressed indicated a bad VFD

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 7:03 pm

if i only had a manual…

• ectofix

March 28, 2020 at 7:09 pm

The contactor pulling in verifies that all safeties are made and the start switch works. Appears that VFD isn’t getting proper communication to tell it to ramp up.

I’m no expert on those systems. I have one HL1400 and numerous HL200s to maintain, but that problem never arose.

I’d have to be there to even BEGIN opening my mind to the possible problems to then narrow it down to possible causes. It sound like a simple connectivity issue, a faulty encoder , mis-match of incoming vs rated VFD voltage, etc etc.

Given your problem, I WILL provide you a download that I got from Hobart’s Australian website some years ago before they secured accessibility to service manuals. This manual is on a HL1400 – NOT a HL600 series.

The differences between THOSE mixers and your HL662 might be MANY. Otherwise, they would be part of the same service manual. For instance, there’s no such thing as a TWO SPEED HL1400 (I don’t think), while your HL662 is just THAT.

NONETHELESS. This might help a little…or maybe not.

• fixitnow

March 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm

well its very similiar at least, thank you!

i will let you know the outcome

Page 2 of 3