Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Door is leaking steam

• olivero

September 27, 2017 at 1:26 pm

Right, It definetley holds water and when its running (bringing the condenser temp down) there is lots of water coming out the drain so it seems to be doing its thing.

I will look into bringing the pressure down and see if it helps. Another odd thing is the door when you push it in where its leaking, it stops leaking in that spot but leaks at the top of the door……………………… 

Its rather frustrating. 

• ryantruck9

September 27, 2017 at 2:06 pm

I know exactly how that frustration feels.

mine did the same thing. (I tried a 2X4 to “straighten” the door, didn’t really help and door was pretty straight already

)

the rack pushes out the door slightly at the bottom causing the top to seal perfect

but the transition from rolling rack to glass to gasket contact not nearly as tight.

make sure there is no damage to the rolling rack face. if warped even a little will cause even more separation above the rack.

if you have another rack you may want to see if it does better or worse

If I remember correctly I marked with a sharpie where the leak occurred and silicone a “stupid” shim above the rack position behind the gasket. it gave the gasket a slight bit of extra standoff just above to contact the glass snug

I then believe I had to do the same where the “new” leak appeared

the frustration is solved by using ONE of the 3 wise men. Jack, Jim, or Johnny

be aware using all 3 at once is not recommended

• ryantruck9

September 27, 2017 at 2:10 pm

thank you John

it has been fun reading through various problems I have encountered and especially those I haven’t.

Reading how other technicians approach problems helps everyone learn something (in my opinion)

the job can be so rewarding and completely frustrating all on the same day.

where else can you actually learn something new everyday

• olivero

September 27, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Okay, so I guess I just have to do whatever works. Spent the last 2 hours trying to level it properly and now one of the feet busted its thread………………………………..

Gonna just do what I can to make it as good as possible, your logic makes sense though with the trolley.

Maybe I’ll just keep adding spacers.

• fixbear

September 27, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Understand your frustration, but your a good tech and will eventually find it.  Must be a bit of age on this oven for all this and then a foot broke.  When a full load is added to the unit, if the feet are not supporting it evenly;y, it will warp the frame.  I had a customer that self installed a 3 door federal freezer cabinet.  over the years the cabinet actually broke the corner welds as it settled.  Yes it was level when he was done, but 2 corners supported a lot less weight that the other 2.  Add a 1000 pounds of product and freeze/ defrost cycles over the years and totaled cabinet.

It is possible that the water into the condenser may be to much and choking the venting.

• olivero

September 27, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Appreciate it, I have seen some interesting things in my few years. I guess its possible, I put a solid cylinder of S.S into the foot now to hold it where I want it, will have to get a new leg for it but that’ll do for now.

Its only been used for about 4 years. Finally got it to stop crying steam all I had to do was add spacers behind the gasket…..

Can you believe that? 4 hours of door adjusting to absolutely no avail and then I spend 5 minutes to walk to my shop, grab some 1/16″ 308 S.S filler rod for TIG welding, slide about 6 of them behind the gasket because “why not, its worth a shot” and its all solved…………………………

It’s just one of those days.

From here on out, spacers first, then everything else.

• ectofix

September 27, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Ryan, glad you’re finally talking instead of just reading.  Keep it up!

• olivero

October 1, 2017 at 8:35 am

Well… Seems like its not over yet.

Seems that with the spacers behind the glass and the spacers behind the gasket, a lot of resistance is met for the handle to pull in the door and it seems to be bending or at least will be bending the door handle if it keeps going like this.

Chefs got worried and pulled out all the spacers so I had to put them back in and try to debug it but I can’t seem to get it to stop leaking steam as well as having a nice comfortable, no tension door handle.

I tried adding even more spacers behind the gasket, doesn’t do it. 

• fixbear

October 1, 2017 at 11:14 am

Are the sealing surfaces clean?  Does it have equal pressure on the gasket at all points?  If that is satisfied, and doesn’t change with temperature,    I would go back to expansion vs. venting.  Is it possible to feel the gasket pressure with a .0015 inch feeler for even tension.?  You may have a warped door and have to adjust shimming to compensate.

• olivero

October 1, 2017 at 11:19 am

Yes, they are clean. I tried the soap trick with soaping up the door gasket and squishing it on but just tells me the same as feeling the door seam by hand, I can fell where the leaks are without the steam present yet. I put a level on the door and its not 100% level nor is it severely warped.

I feel that if I keep adding spacers, I will only damage the handle more so I am uncertain of what to do at this point.

Page 5 of 7