Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives bunn ultra 2 motor shaft torque pin… how do you replace it?

• bunn ultra 2 motor shaft torque pin… how do you replace it?

Posted by guest on May 8, 2018 at 12:00 am

do u have to drill out the old one or does it tap out?

ectofix replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

May 8, 2018 at 3:12 pm

Depends on which pin.  The roll pin (spring pin) is hollow and can be drifted out. The sensing pin is solid, some are drilled thru and can be drifted, others are in a blind hole. The blind hole pin usually has enough to grab with vise grips and can be gripped and pried up.  If it is flush, you have a major problem.  Centering and drilling it out has to be done with a lot of caution on a machine to prevent damaging the hole.  You may want to just replace the torsion spring retainer and springs as they weaken with time. Most likely why the pin broke. Normally I’ve seen them bent from spring weakness.

If you don’t have the service manual and parts manual, they are here;

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/BU-ULTRA1-2_sm.pdf

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/BU-ULTRA-2_pm.pdf

September 11, 2019 at 3:11 pm

This is what I am dealing with. Everything works fine but machine won’t freeze with sensor fault

Any ideas on easiest fix?

• ectofix

September 11, 2019 at 4:56 pm

I’ve never worked on those units, but I spent twenty minutes perusing the manuals. 

Is that a snapped off torque sensing pin in that shaft?  Per the manual, that would certainly prevent it from cooling.

I’d have to be there to even entertain any thought on why that happened and how to take it apart to repair it.  The pin (actually, BOTH pins) look like basic roll pins.  I’m guessing that when the auger shaft rotates, those two protruding roll pins swing in close proximity to sensors on that board on the right.  The difference in time of their “arrival” through the board’s sensors determines how much torque is required to turn the auger.  As the time span between the two increases as a result a thicker consistency of the product, the control will shut off the compressor to terminate the freeze cycle.

Since you’ve lost a pin, the controls won’t allow a freeze cycle.

I recommend getting a service company to address your problem.  There are likely other components that will need replaced to remedy what caused this failure.

I recommend that you contact Bunn for identifying a service provider:

Support 

Here’s where you can find a service provider on their website:

Service Provider Lookup 

If you’re still willing to give it a go yourself (which I DON’T recommend), here’s some manuals:

SERVICE & REPAIR MANUAL 

ILLUSTRATED PARTS CATALOG 

• ectofix

September 11, 2019 at 5:00 pm

And NOW I read what fixbear had written back in May 2018. 

I was close.

• user1917

October 12, 2019 at 11:28 pm

I’ve used a bench vise (with blocks of wood for protection) amd knocked it out with a punch tool.

• fixbear

October 13, 2019 at 10:15 am

congratulation.

• ectofix

October 13, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Glad to hear that.

I was just realizing that SOME field service techs wouldn’t of had a bench vice or blocks of wood on in their service trucks.  In my fourteen years of doing field work, I personally hadn’t ever mounted a vice in my van.  AMAZING that I hadn’t, since I’ve SINCE  learned of so much more I could’ve accomplished had I improvised a vice in there.

So, you did good for having those resources.