Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives SCR-3 Rotisserie

• SCR-3 Rotisserie

Posted by guest on October 14, 2016 at 12:00 am

Henny Penny SCR-3 Rotisserie

Its a 208 volt unit.

The light bulbs inside have 208 volts going to them.

There is no neutral on the rotisserie, and the schematic shows the bulbs having 208 volts going to them.

The parts manual shows the bulbs as 120 volts and 150 watts.

The store has been using 120 volt bulbs since this thing was new and they say the bulbs last a long time.

Just a curosity question, how do 120 volt bulbs last when they have 208 volts going to them? One would think they would burn out all the time.

alnelson replied 7 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

October 15, 2016 at 6:53 am

I was going to venture a guess that those 120v bulbs are connected in series.  Beings that it’s against my nature to NOT pry deeper, I did…and – they probably are.

With two good halogen bulbs working, pull one of them and see if the other light quits working.  If it does, then they’re connected in series.

I didn’t find a tech manual on the SCR-3, which has TWO lights.  But found a manual for the SCR-6/8, which has FOUR lights: http://www.hennypenny.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/SCR-FM06-011-Tech.pdf

It appears that Henny Penny mixed it up some in their light socket wiring.  Some wiring diagrams show sets of two lights connected in series.  Then other oven wiring diagrams have all lights connected in parallel (for 230v bulbs).  So it just depends on whether the oven was made to CE standards and is contingent upon the oven’s serial number for identifying which of THOSE requires 230v bulbs (like the parts manual shows).

I’m just wondering how you went about reading 208v going to them.

Did you test for that from the terminal board feeding the light circuit?

Or…

Did you take that 208v reading from an individual socket after removing its bulb?  If so…and if the OTHER socket’s bulb is still in place (with a good bulb), then you WILL read 208v at that open in the circuit (the empty socket).  Once you install a GOOD bulb into that open socket and take voltage reading across each individual socket where their wires connect, I think you’ll find that they’re only getting about 104v each.

• alnelson

October 15, 2016 at 8:17 am

Thanks EC

You’re right on the money. I knew I was overlooking something.

I was reading 208 on the wires going to the socket, but there was a burnt out bulb on that socket.

And now that I look at the schematic again they ***are*** in series.

Thanks for the help.