Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Fetco 2131cbs

• Fetco 2131cbs

Posted by guest on June 12, 2019 at 12:00 am

3liter brewer stops brewing after only about 30 sec. and shows the “insert brew basket” code. All parts are in place. What senses the brew basket?  What else should I be looking at?  Thank you. 

smccarty replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

June 12, 2019 at 4:52 pm

The brew basket’s handle has a magnet in it.  When the basket is fully inserted, the magnet aligns with a proximity switch (sometimes called a Reed switch) mounted inside of the brewer section housing. 

I’d first check to be sure that the handle is mounted securely to the basket.  Also make sure the brew basket isn’t warped from employees banging it to remove coffee grounds.  Next I’d use an ohmmeter to test the Reed switch.  It should read continuity when the basket is inserted and open when the basket is removed.  The Reed switch has some very limited adjustment of its positioning, but you can try that as well.

Here’s a manual for your brewer:

https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/FE-CBS-2131_spm.pdf 

The manual has parts breakdowns for the various brewers as well as the brew basket.  Wiring diagrams are also at the back of the manual to aid in troubleshooting.

Here’s basket handle:

Fetco 1102.00064.00 HANDLE W/ MAGNET ASSEMBLY, BLA 

Here’s the Reed switch:

Fetco 1102.00113.00 SWITCH, REED, ASSEMBLY 

• smccarty

June 12, 2019 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did check the magnet and reed switch. The switch

was a little off. The mounting post for the switch are a little to the left

making it a bit off even with the switch slid as far right as possible.

What should the ohms be as I would like to check it just to be certain.

• ectofix

June 12, 2019 at 6:20 pm

Like I said, it should read continuity (close to 0Ω) when the basket is installed.  That’s assuming that the magnet in the handle is properly aligned. 

With the basket OUT, it should read infinity (∞)…or OL on digital meters. 

You can always use different magnet for testing purposes (in case there’s an issue with the one in the handle) to see if the switch will actually close, but you run the risk of damaging the switch if that magnet is too strong.  I try to stick with the one on my pocket screw starter like this one:

Ullman D2 Slotted Screw Starter 

• smccarty

June 12, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Ok. I thank you for all the input. Greatly appreciated.