Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Blodgett lid adjustment

• Blodgett lid adjustment

Posted by guest on January 20, 2018 at 12:00 am

I have an 80 gl Blodget kettle and would like to know if anyone has adjusted the tension on the lid .

Thanks

ectofix replied 6 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

January 20, 2018 at 3:54 am

Not having your model number means I can’t tell what kettle you are talking about, But most of the pedestal and leg type steam kettles just have 2 coil springs that are fixed. If the lid is heavy you probably have a broken spring. Blodgett has like 5 different springs depending on cover weight.

• ectofix

January 20, 2018 at 8:46 am

Haven’t ever done that on a Blodgett.  Simply don’t see many of them.

Looking at their parts diagram, it appears their spring-assisted lid hinge very similar to a Cleveland.  Here’s Cleveland’s instructions:

Appears that Blodgett’s design lacks the slotted screws that Cleveland mentions.

I can’t be for sure, but looks like item #3 serves to adjust the tension.  I imagine that #3 accepts a large Allen wrench (maybe a 3/8″ too?).  I can’t tell for sure from the illustration, so that’s only my guess.

Item #1 is the stop pin.  So…rotating #3 slightly CCW (opposite Cleveland’s instructions) will release tension on the stop pin so you can remove it.

Item #3 looks like it has multiple holes on its periphery.  Using that wrench, rotate #3 CCW to tighten or CW to loosen spring tension.  Once it’s to your liking, align the hole in #2 with nearest available one in #3, then re-insert the locking pin.

NOTE:  If you discover that the spring is broken, I suggest ordering #1 along with the new spring.  Otherwise, just be mindful that item #1 should be replaced anyway if it’s showing some wear or damage.

• fixbear

January 20, 2018 at 1:25 pm

I looked up the 80ks and it is a double arm.  Being the poster never told us the model,  I was wondering what one this is.  The old one I worked on many years ago had 2 fixed springs with tangs.

• fixbear

January 24, 2018 at 9:45 am

Ragu33176 let me know that he had a KLS 80G as his kettle.  To change the cover tension on this one is easy. Left side of the pivot has a hole for a Allen wrench with a pin below it. Inset the correct allen and apply counterclockwise pressure to take tension off the pin. Pull the pin with a set of pliers or vice grips and tighten CCW while applying pressure to the pin to catch the next hole.  Lessening pressure is the opposite. (Clockwise).

Similar to the Cleveland, but opposite side with a pin to anchor instead of 2 screws. They can use a pin because they have a spacer inside the spring to keep the anchor plate tight to the end.

I should caution you, There is a equivalent weight of the cover on the spring stationary plate that you are rotating. You may want to add a cheater on the allen.  Also you can not put the pin in the hole occupied by the spring.

• ectofix

January 24, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Yup.  That was my thinking as well.