Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Convotherm 4, E05.1.8

• olivero

March 31, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Yeah, I think they are Tungsten, not sure though.

I added an additional wire between the burner flange and the combustion blower/Gas valve mounting screws, now it holds over 30 MA in service so its an improvement, we will have to see if it handles the intermittent problems.

• fixbear

April 3, 2018 at 7:01 am

Been 4 days with the ground wire.  Any problems?

• olivero

April 3, 2018 at 8:47 am

No sir.

Been happy so far.

I thought about doing this starting out, I just have had some pretty bad experiences with my first options being modifying how something is built or how its configured. Its worked before, its also made stuff crash even harder so I try to leave adding new things or modifying things, to a last resort unless the OEM is saying to do it.

Even if this does solve it, I think the underlying problem of why the ground is lost is still there and should be resolved, it just proves that that’s the problem.

• ectofix

April 3, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Good for you.

I can’t recollect the number of times I’ve seen when poor flame proof…proved to be a poor ground.  Easy to overlook and, even though I know you’d thought of it, I guess the manufacturer who designed it…DIDN’T.

• olivero

April 3, 2018 at 7:00 pm

Yea, its a shame it has to be re-solved like this.

Here’s a new one, just got told the oven was making a loud *woooooo* sound when it was running, it was steaming and heating so when the chef opened the door, it shut off.

Burner harmonics, now I have to figure out which burner and hopefully it will be simple to solve.

• fixbear

April 3, 2018 at 7:19 pm

That would go along with the lack of flame retention that melted the first igniter.

• olivero

April 3, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Really? 

I am thinking igniters are misaligned or something. I’ve already verified gas pressure and flue analyzer and everything is in order, Its coming from the bottom burner though, not the top. I am going to try to pull the burner tonight and get a good look at it.

• olivero

April 3, 2018 at 8:28 pm

allright, THIS deserves a what the heck.

I go to pull the bottom burner and as I loosen the last nut WATER comes out! WATER.

We just had our hoods cleaned last night….. I wonder……………..

• fixbear

April 3, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Steam in the burner will do it every time. LOL

• olivero

April 3, 2018 at 9:03 pm

Does it? Does the steam cause that odd woom noise?

I thought about it some more, the odds of that water making 2 full circles in the heat exchanger and landing on the burner is pretty unlikely. MORE likely, there is a crack in the heat exchanger somewhere.

Luckily for me, I have a bottom heat exchanger on the shelf. Well, floor, its too big to fit on the shelf. 

Page 6 of 7