Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives My drip pan fills up with water. Do I manually empty it?

• My drip pan fills up with water. Do I manually empty it?

Posted by guest on July 18, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a 48″ reach in refrigerator.  It started to flood on floor. Checked drip pan & found it floor. 

fixbear replied 6 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • izzygreen

July 19, 2017 at 7:36 am

assuming there is nothing wrong with the refrigeration unit……If there is an evaporator in the drip pan and its overflowing, I’d have that checked; otherwise ambient temp changes can cause more then normal condensate.

I’d have a tech check it out

good luck

• fixbear

July 19, 2017 at 7:49 am

A model would help a lot here.  Your problem will have a different answer it a top mount compressor vs. a bottom mount.  With a bottom mount the condenser fan air movement evaporates the water.  The evaporative  felts must be in place for the surface area to be there in the high humidity periods.  Also the condenser coil has to be clean for the air flow. The felts wick up the water so that the air moving over them evaporates the water.

In a top mount, they use a electrically heated pan mounted to the bottom to evaporate the water. There fore either your heater is not working or has a hole in the pan.

Optionally,f the cooler froze up from a open door or bad gaskets. So you had to shut it off to De-ice,  The pan will not hold all the water. It does not come out easily without spilling the water. On most machines it’s behind the condenser,  And it has the rack in it for the evaporation felts to stand on edge. Let alone the drain line trap.  I’ve found that a wet vacuum works best for this, .or placing a sheet pan under to catch it and dump.