Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I have a Hobart Slicer Model 3813 need help with

• I have a Hobart Slicer Model 3813 need help with

Posted by guest on July 26, 2017 at 12:00 am

Hobart Model 3813 slicer issue.  I get a call that the slicer won’t turn on.  I check it out, 120VAC is at the GFI that it’s plugged into no backlight on the touchpad and won’t turn on. So I load it up and wheel it back to the shop to further investigate( I’m an in-house tech).  I plug it in and touchpad lights up and takes off without issue.  I opened it up and checked all the connections, safeties, water marks on PCB, and everything seems fine.  Wheel it back to the kitchen and put back in service.  Ran fine for a few days and then got the same call.  I did nothing except unplug it for a few minutes, plugged back in and took right off again.  No issues.  I took some amp readings- had about 12 amps inrush and about 3 amps while running.  

I’m suspecting the main PCB is “going” bad?  But to the tune of $600 – $700 for the board, i figured I would ask for help from some of you other techs.  

fixbear replied 6 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • izzygreen

July 26, 2017 at 7:53 am

I gather you’ve checked the membrane switch cover  to ensure it isn’t sticking; if so then yes the main board is failing.

Also take note that some models require the carriage to be at ‘home’ before allowing operation, while others will not engage until you open the gauge plate.

I imagine Hobart has a bunch of engineers that sit in a room and say how can we make this machine more complicated, and every few years they throw a new stupidity out there.

If you get me the ML number I can direct you to the proper parts page, but generally speaking a board for that unit shouldn’t be more than $400 give or take. for example SearchPage – Hobart eCommerce 

Good luck

• moldypickle

July 26, 2017 at 11:38 am

Yeah the membrane switch seems fine.  I noticed the small green led behind the sharpen button wouldn’t be lit until i removed power for a little bit.  The only thing i questioned was in the user manual they say “The No Volt Release feature, standard, requires the slicer to be restarted after a power interruption.”  (whatever restarted means).

This slicer has too be in the home position and gauge plate has to be open for it to run. I found the same part number in my parts manual as you provided but with a very different price.  Even on partstown list price is $765.  ML # 136135

• izzygreen

July 26, 2017 at 2:16 pm

The reason you are finding higher prices is because Hobart does not give anyone any kind of significant  markdown from list prices on parts so unless you are buying direct from Hobart you are going to be paying list plus whatever any supplier chooses to charge.

I miss the old days when there was nothing more in the unit then a motor, power supply and switch, it made things so much simpler. I would not recommend trying to retrofit a Hobart slicer they like to add all kinds of circuitry and I’ve no idea if the motor will accept 120vac

Good luck

• fixbear

July 26, 2017 at 4:41 pm

sounds like a electrical interruption happening during operation.  Check the quality of the outlet, plug, and supply cable for something loose.  Bad connection.

• ectofix

July 26, 2017 at 6:53 pm

I gotta agree with fixbear.  Could be something very basic.

I’ll add that you might want to scrutinized the polarity of the power source of the outlet in the kitchen.  Some electronics doesn’t like neutral and line being swapped.  Could be the electrician who installed the outlet got ’em backwards. 

• izzygreen

July 27, 2017 at 8:08 am

fixbear and ectofix may be correct but I’ve noticed when it comes to Hobart electronics; they fail consistently, especially nowadays. The manufacturing of the parts are going to the lowest bidder and I am replacing boards all the time. I have had similar issues with their equipment, the more circuitry they install in their machines the greater chance of it failing. For example their new Legacy series mixers, they have a PCB board that controls everything in the unit and I’ve replaced more of those then I care to admit, and Hobart admits this which why they have a 90 day part defect warranty no questions asked.

Either way, if you are looking at getting a decent deli slicer and don’t want to deal with the over priced Hobart people, I’d recommend Biro, they’ve made great strides in the deli slicer department and it’s really a solid machine

• fixbear

July 27, 2017 at 11:48 am

If you have a oscilloscope available for use, This would be a good one to monitor. Try to get the probes as close to the board as possible and wiggle the outlet, cord and power switch as you monitor it. Also they may have a heavy motor load on the same circuit that causes a fluctuation. Something like a cooler, mixer, or hand blender.

• moldypickle

July 28, 2017 at 6:19 am

So ectofix  I checked polarity on the GFI, that’s all ok, and i tripped it while running and it powered right back up when reset so I’m not quite sure what their “No volt release feature” means.  There is an identical slicer right next to it so if it fails again I can swap boards.   

I do have a fluke 287 that i can dig out to monitor it and it is on a dedicated circuit.  

BTW I checked my W/O history on the slicer and I did have to change the fuse on the board for the knife motor about 2 years ago but has been fine ever since.

I too have recently replaced the PCB in one of our legacy mixers.  Thanks again for your input guys

• fixbear

July 28, 2017 at 7:25 am

Today’s machines no longer use ‘Relay Logic” like years past. With relay logic you could have a voltage fluctuation over 500 milliseconds and it did nothing due to residual magnetic flux.  With today’s solid state a 1 millisecond deviation can trip out a circuit. Many buildings had to have power upgrades with the new equipment. let alone the harmonics some of the new stuff makes.  I’ve seen a loose connection or bad fuse holder cause erratic solid state problems.

• ectofix

July 28, 2017 at 8:30 am

moldypickle wrote:

…so I’m not quite sure what their “No volt release feature” means. 

I’ve never heard of that “feature” myself, so you made me look. 

“No voltage release” (or NVR) appears to simply a circuit designed to prevent a dangerous restart of machinery following a power outage or when plugging a machinery back into an outlet.  Wikipedia describes it HERE.

Hobart describes that feature as one for “looking out for the operator“, per their 3813 Slicer specification sheet.

Page 1 of 2