Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Garland 3-13 H

• canderson

November 21, 2017 at 7:56 pm

This shows how the door is hinged. The front outside piece is molded to catch and support the door when it is opened. Also, it shows the curved feet and how they are attached. To the right of the door support is what appears to be a spot weld.

• canderson

November 21, 2017 at 8:08 pm

This shows the molded turnkeys that slide the metal flat bar up or down to divert the flame to have either a broiler or an oven. Towards the top left of the photo, another spot weld is faint, but visible. Not sure why the turn key is wired…it will be removed soon.

• canderson

November 21, 2017 at 8:22 pm

The back of the stove. It appears that the vent is attached using spot welds. The sides and back are tin/sheet metal and attached together using spot welds. The top and feet are cast iron as is the top of the vent. The gas fitting on the left is rounded on the end and may be a new brass replacement piece. I will send more photos if needed. 

There is a space under the burners with a removable pan I assume is a drip pan.

• fixbear

November 22, 2017 at 8:34 am

I provided the Garland magazine just to demonstrate how the determined models prior to 1929. I found it in Detroit historical library. I did not branch out into Michigan, Chicago, or Buffalo historical sites  Note; search engines on these sites are ineffective.  You  have to go through each piece.  Note that the cards have stoves on the back.  The Garland mag that I put up is volume 2 number 6.  Meaning it was the second year for it.  It was printed from 1894 to 1896. .

The ability to weld didn’t come in till the thirties.  Those are screws that the slot filled in with rust before the last blackening or the head rusted away.  Is the oven handle wood or more cast? 

Broiler valve wired means that the burner is probably damaged and no longer safely functioned.. 

At some point in her past she was outside for quite a while.  Looks like someone did a lot of prying near the broiler valve to tear open the side. Probably in a attempt to repair the broiler.  .

Now the lower hinge.  Anyone who has spent time in a kitchen with a stove like this knows what that hole is for. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother in the early 50’s turning butter and watching her cook with a wood fired stove that had a jockey tank on the side and warming bins on top. The screech of the oven door opening would chill your spine. I drop of oil or grease in the hole made it quiet.

• canderson

November 23, 2017 at 10:38 am

The Garland magazine was a great reference. I enjoyed reading through it and liked how they named the stoves. Thank you for that.

Regarding the welding. Welding history goes back to 4000 B.C.. Edmund Davy from England discovered acetylene welding in 1836. Elihu Thompson had Resistance Spot Weld (RSW) patents from 1885-1900.    I questioned the spot welds until I found out about Elihu Thompson.

According to the Miller Manufacturing Company, C.J Holslag invented alternating current welding in 1919, “however it did not become popular until the 1930s when the heavy-coated electrode found widespread use”.  (Credit the Miller Manufacturing Company)

I contacted the person from whom I purchased the stove. She bought it from an 80-something year old gentleman whose family used to stove to heat an old farmhouse up until she bought it from him. She stated that the family winters in Arizona and she will be contacting the neighbors and the family to get a better history as to where the stove came from. Apparently the family had the stove for many years. I will update the story when I receive new information. 

The holes on the front for oiling is awesome! After I wrote about the attachment theory, I thought it would be hard to open the door with an attachment blocking the way….

There are three parts to the handle. All three are wooden. I will see if I can get a different view of the handle.

I will check out the screws again and see if the other end of them is visible. And I will take the wire off and see if I can find any damage, etc.

A few questions: Why are the legs so short on this stove? Was it a prototype? Is it for an apartment or a ship?

My intention for this stove is to restore it to its original working condition and have it installed professionally so I can use it.

Fixbear, every time you post, another idea pops up, I find more resources, and this little stove’s story gets more detailed. I really appreciate all you are doing to find out what it is. Thank you!

• canderson

November 23, 2017 at 10:41 am

One other question: Why are there no other photos of this stove anywhere? IF this was mass produced, there should be A photo out there somewhere…

• fixbear

November 23, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Agreed and frustrating at the same time. Like you said, it was most likely a prototype. Gas never got popular in homes till the 30’s.  It would never been on a ship because it was gas. Pressurized gas was illegal on a vessel until just recently.  Steamships were coal fired at the time. Remember that a ship is a live item that is constantly flexing and moving. Everything would be made to bolt down and there was no suitable flex lines for gas service that would be safe and reliable.  Shipboard ranges that I have seen had a raised edge to prevent a pot from sliding off in rough weather.

Being that it wasn’t a patented product like the wood and coal stoves  ie: the emblem,  it is a hard one to find anything on.  I think historical societies in Buffalo,  Chicago, Detroit, and Michigan are your best bet,  There are libraries that have items,  But want $40 dollars per day to view them.

.  .

As for the height of the stove, people were shorter in that time frame  A tall man was 5′ 8′.  Most women about 5 ft.  Pots were mostly cast iron and heavy.  You didn’t want to lift them to high.

• fixbear

November 23, 2017 at 1:12 pm

canderson wrote:

Regarding the welding. Welding history goes back to 4000 B.C.. Edmund Davy from England discovered acetylene welding in 1836. Elihu Thompson had Resistance Spot Weld (RSW) patents from 1885-1900.    I questioned the spot welds until I found out about Elihu Thompson.

Yes,  but that was forge welding and not practical for manufacturing.  Gas welding with acetylene was not economical nor well acepted until Oxygen cylinders and reliable safe gas regulators became available.  Early torches were a glass water tank that dropped carbide crystals into the water with a diaphragm to monitor the pressure and control the drop.  Air acetylene torches were not hot enough for welding, only brazing.

I will check out the screws again and see if the other end of them is visible. And I will take the wire off and see if I can find any damage, etc.

The thing to look at is inside.  Is the burner intact without cracks, is the nozzle and carburetor ok, Is the flame impingement area sound or eroded away from flame.

My intention for this stove is to restore it to its original working condition and have it installed professionally so I can use it.

You may have a bit of a time making new nozzles for the gas. Not something you can find off the shelf.  Interesting that the air shutters are the same as today’s.

• canderson

November 25, 2017 at 9:08 am

I have to chuckle, I am getting quite an education from a simple purchase of a vintage stove! Major Kudos on the ship and welding history! 

Regarding the spot welding, when did Garland begin using spot welding in their manufacturing process?

I took off the wire, the turnkey mechanisms work easily and properly switching from broiler to oven.

The end of the screws look like screw ends. The threads are visible and clear. I could not get a good photo of the ends.

Thank you again for the history, it certainly helps in eliminating the “could be” theories. 🙂

• fixbear

November 25, 2017 at 11:30 am

Carol, I’ve been very fortunate to have the background I have.  In the early years i lived on a family farm without power and we cooked, heated with wood and coal. Oil lamps.   My dad started as a mechanic for the first bus company in NY state (My Grandfathers) and then went to work as a fixer for Mohawk Carpet.  He later was foreman of the experimental lab where he built the first stitch loom that is used today for carpet making.  On the side he built machines for others special purpose’s like crop dusters and other farming tools.  He involved me in projects when I was 5. In a rural community neighbors were always bring items to be fixed.  I started working in my sophomore year part time and ever since.   Joined the navy and got a total of 10 schools that gave me even greater background.   From 1970 on I have been building and repairing all forms of equipment. from draw bridges  Machine tools, And even special handling tools for a bank on down.   Moved to food service after a bout with a bad virus that limited my physical abilities a bit. At one time I held 11 special licsene’s till the cost of renewals went through the roof. (NYS trying to balance a budget)  I also taught welding on the side for a distributor to GE  welding engineers.

So I geuss I’m considered a jack of all trades. But I also have mastered them. It’s been a fun life for sure.

Page 4 of 6