How to Adjust a Kolpak Walk-In Door Sweep
When it comes to commercial refrigeration, Kolpak is one of the most popular brands in the industry. Trained foodservice technicians are called upon to conduct planned maintenance and repairs. Door sweeps are vital on walk-in units because they seal the space between the bottom door and threshold. This guide shows technicians how to adjust a Kolpak walk-in door sweep correctly.
Kolpak requires this service to be done only by trained and qualified technicians familiar with these units. Equipment operators and owners should contact a local factory authorized service agent to conduct these repairs.
Before a tech tackles the task, they should do the following:
- Check that all field wiring follows equipment requirements and applies to local and national codes.
- Disconnect all power sources before servicing the unit.
- Wear protective gloves to prevent injury from the sharp edges on sheet metal and coil surfaces.
- Wear goggles or other eye protection during repairs.
Procedure for Adjusting the Door Sweep
The written instructions and video below show you how to adjust the bottom door sweep hinges on Kolpak walk-in coolers and freezers.
- Step 1. Loosen the mounting screws on the bottom door sweep.
- Step 2. Adjust the sweep to the desired height. Pull down to lower the sweep, so it’s closer to the ground. Push up if you need the sweep to clear the threshold. Make sure it’s level to prevent dragging while opening or closing.
- Step 3. Tighten the mounting screws once the sweep is adjusted properly.
- Step 4. Fill both gaps at each end of the sweep with silicone. This helps prevent outside air from infiltrating the interior of the walk-in unit. Let the silicone dry for several minutes before operating the door.
- Step 5. Once the silicone has dried, test the sweep. The sweep barely should contact the threshold and no air or light should make its way through the bottom of the door. If there are noticeable tears or damage on the sweep, replace it.
Check out the full Kolpak self-help video here.
Need more assistance repairing or installing a unit? Check out Welbilt Kitchencare for Kolpak self-help resources.